Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MakarovZachaev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,324
Message 1 of 5

How to test for water/spill damage? Ideapad Z510 Minor water spill

Hello everyone! I am a new member so please feel free to correct and notify me of any mistakes I may make on these forums!

Today water was accidentally spilled on my trackpad and keyboard. It wasn't a lot of water but quite a bit. The water set on the keyboard for maybe 5 seconds before I was able to wipe it off (due to shock of what to do). The water did not seem to go through the keys at all. I immediately turned off the computer after wiping it.

My question is, now I'm on the laptop, all the keys and everything work properly, I do not notice any significant change in processing speed and all the ports work. How would I check for potential water damage from the spill? I got this laptop ~two months ago and definitely would hate to send it back now since I have a lot work going on. Is it worth it to send it in, how long will it take, will it be under warranty, if not how much will it cost?

Thank you for anyone that reads this or even tries to answer just one of my questions! Love this community!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,318
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to test for water/spill damage? Ideapad Z510 Minor water spill

@MakarovZachaev wrote:

Hello everyone! I am a new member so please feel free to correct and notify me of any mistakes I may make on these forums!

Today water was accidentally spilled on my trackpad and keyboard. It wasn't a lot of water but quite a bit. The water set on the keyboard for maybe 5 seconds before I was able to wipe it off (due to shock of what to do). The water did not seem to go through the keys at all. I immediately turned off the computer after wiping it.

My question is, now I'm on the laptop, all the keys and everything work properly, I do not notice any significant change in processing speed and all the ports work. How would I check for potential water damage from the spill? I got this laptop ~two months ago and definitely would hate to send it back now since I have a lot work going on. Is it worth it to send it in, how long will it take, will it be under warranty, if not how much will it cost?

Thank you for anyone that reads this or even tries to answer just one of my questions! Love this community!

If I am in your shoes I would first turn upside down the unit so that the KB is at the bottom. I would then blow hot air into the keys at a distance using a hair blower/dryer. After that I will start openning the unit to examine further for any water sipping through. Blowing further hot air to insure that everything is dried up. After this I'd start checking the ac adapter and the battery based on the recommended procedure given in the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

MakarovZachaev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,311
Message 3 of 5

You see that's great except the spill was not too crazy, after I wiped it off with my shirt, there was little water left. Now it's 10:55PM, the incident occurred at around 11AM. I did blow compressed air throughout the entire thing at around 3PM.

By the way, it's rather hard to open the casing, is there a way of going about this? Thank you so much for your effort in answering my question! How bad was your spill?
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,295
Message 4 of 5

The Hardware maintenance manual provides the guide on how to open the unit.

Never had a spill in my case but as stated If I had one I'll do it that way.

MakarovZachaev
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,271
Message 5 of 5

Just wanted to let everyone know that due to amazing Lenovo build quality, it looks like the water didn't even penetrate through to the circuitry. LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98Bf6Z041w
That above link is to a video that shows the dissemble for the Z510, if you fast forward to around 3:49 you can see that the keyboard is isolated and separate from the entire laptop circuitry so if you were to spill water it would have a lesser chance of damaging your laptop. THANK YOU LENOVO ENGINEERS!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors