Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 25,010
Message 1 of 59

How to use one key recovery after it stops working

Hi again

This guide is on using one key recovery backup manually when the function stops woking. For this, you require your recovery partition to be absolutely untouched. Even if you have deleted other partition but this partition stays, you still have the chance to access the backup. LIke before, these steps are also very easy to follow and dont require any professional experiences

Now moving on to the steps,

Firstly you will need to download ptedit32.exe, download from here:-  http://www.2shared.com/file/TbV75uyo/PTEDIT32.html

Now run the application as administrator. You will get this. You have to change the partition type of the oem partition which is 12 by default to 07 as shown below

12.PNG

13.PNG

And click save changes

Now reboot and you would see a new partition in my computer after rebooting named LENOVO_PART

Open the partition and you will see 5 folders. Open the OKRBackup  folder and then open the folder named Factory.  

In the folder you would see a file named OS.okr . Copy it and save it wherever you want. This file is the image of the operating system and is the same as the install.wim image file which is used in installing windows. 

So you will rename this file to install.wim. Now this file is usable to install windows the way you normally install it. 

To use this file, you will have to delete the default install.wim file which is found in the sources folder of the windows setup and then copy the one key recovery install.wim to the sources folder. Thats all you have to do. Just install once using the image to see it working. 

Regards

Ishaan

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 24,888
Message 2 of 59

Re: How to use one key recovery after it stops working

So how do you do this "So you will rename this file to install.wim. Now this file is usable to install windows the way you normally install it. "

EDIT : OK never used windows recover before.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28001-Installing-from-wim-files-directly-using-imagex-exe

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 24,860
Message 3 of 59

Hi John
If you are onto this process, please post back the results.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Highlighted
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 24,785
Message 4 of 59

Just an update, one of the forum member has reported that there is no os.okr file in the recovery partition in windows 8 preinstalled system. The needed file, install.wim, is as it is there.
So in okr 8 os.okr is install.wim and can be directly used.
rotorjet
Paper Tape
Views: 24,769
Message 5 of 59

What's the procedure to do this with Linux since I can't boot into Windows anymore.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 24,763
Message 6 of 59

Ptedit32 should work on linux too. Which linux?
rotorjet
Paper Tape
Views: 24,743
Message 7 of 59

It's windows program that the link is. I'm using Ubuntu to boot from a DVD. 

I found there's a "install.wim" under "OKRBackup/Factory" from one of the partitions, I just copied it to somewhere.

I've created a WinPE bootable USB, I want to try to use imagex to apply to one of my partitions (where Win8 was installed) if it works. After I booted into WinPE, I couldn't see any partitions from my local hard disk (I can see the disk is there if I use the "diskpart"). Any ideas?

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 24,693
Message 8 of 59

See this
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28001-Installing-from-wim-files-directly-using-imagex-exe
m_meligy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 24,626
Message 9 of 59

Okay!
There is another thing xD
Do I have to have a specific version of Win 7 to do this or just any version??? and does it have to be original or not??
Thanks for bearing with me!
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 24,624
Message 10 of 59

You should have the same version. The below guide can also be followed which installs from .wim files directly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors