Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_meligy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,460
Message 11 of 59

Re: How to use one key recovery after it stops working

Sorry that I am asking you about this here, but that thread to which you redirected me seems a bit old and I don't think I will get a quick reply from its creator and I really need to solve this issue as soon as possible.
About installing from the .wim file directly, what exactly does the capture step do??? I understood that we use imagex to install the .wim file directly on an empty partition. Is that right???
Sorry again, but I am just not that good at doing this and I really need help :/
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,457
Message 12 of 59

I suggest you follow the method mentioned here.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
m_meligy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,442
Message 13 of 59

I just keep facing problems :/
I got the recovery image file (.okr file) and renamed it: "install.wim"
However, the file format is still .okr and not .wim and the windows setup cannot read it.
And by the way, I have tried to search for solution on how to convert .okr or .iso files to .wim files, but all what I found was on how to create .wim images from an already installed windows.

shroder
Punch Card
Views: 2,376
Message 14 of 59

I recently purchased a Ideapad Y500 running on win8 64 with a 1TB HDD and a 16GB SSD Cache. I plan on upgrading to win8 pro 64 and swapping the HDD with a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. To perfrom the swap I will follow this strategy (link below) after creating a USB backup. Basically I will do this as soon I finish upgrading the OS and then I will do the swap.

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

According to several post, when the swap is performed the OKR will no longer work due to partition issues. My questions are the following

1) Will your method allow me to fix the OKR issue after I perform the swap?

2) Is there a better method to swap the drive and still maintain the OKR feature?

I have read several posts and yours seems to be the only one that provides a possible solution. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,359
Message 15 of 59

@shroder wrote:

I recently purchased a Ideapad Y500 running on win8 64 with a 1TB HDD and a 16GB SSD Cache. I plan on upgrading to win8 pro 64 and swapping the HDD with a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. To perfrom the swap I will follow this strategy (link below) after creating a USB backup. Basically I will do this as soon I finish upgrading the OS and then I will do the swap.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

According to several post, when the swap is performed the OKR will no longer work due to partition issues. My questions are the following

1) Will your method allow me to fix the OKR issue after I perform the swap?

2) Is there a better method to swap the drive and still maintain the OKR feature?

I have read several posts and yours seems to be the only one that provides a possible solution. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Hi shroder

The link you provided, that you are following is not at all required. You can simply just use one of the cloning software to clone the hdd to ssd without losing the okr functionality.  Just google for it.

Also just in case, make reocvery media if by chance something happens, just refer to this link

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

And one more thing, as okr wont work on ssd, you can try out the following guide on the ssd as your hdd would still have the okr feature after cloning.

Hope This Helps!!

Regards

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
shroder
Punch Card
Views: 2,345
Message 16 of 59

So if worst case scenario I could just reinstall the HDD and my OKR would work properly?

Thank you for your reply

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,332
Message 17 of 59

Hi
Yes, okr would work in hdd until and unless you dont alter anything on your hdd. Even any smallest of alterations, and your laptop would be good for nothing. So while cloning, dont edit the hdd
Regards
hopelives
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,292
Message 18 of 59

I wanted to apply your solution but I couldn't find default install.wim file in my Win7 files. So I couldn't change it to the okr based install.wim.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,287
Message 19 of 59

can you tell me how you tried to create factory discs? it's hidden and you cannot access the file directly.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 2,285
Message 20 of 59

Did you follow post 1 on how to unhide the recovery partition to you can find the recovery image?

I am still cannot quite grasp how to turn the recovery image install.wim into a bootable flash drive or dvd`s

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors