cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kzorg
What's DOS?
Views: 1,634
Message 1 of 5

I had "Power Surge on USB hub port" on my Y430 and now the USB port doesn't work

Hi guys,

I bought a new (sealed) Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 on TigerDirect.ca

Everything was working properly, but, yesterday, I had this message from Windows when I plugged my Kingston USB Flash Drive (left side port).

"Power surge on USB hub port"

So I unplugged the USB key, rebooted the system. Plug my USB key again, no warning message, but no USB key detected...

So, I reboot the computer, with the key plugged in, going in the BIOS and when I take a look in the boot device order, my Kingston flash drive is not detected. If I do the same thing with another USB port, it works.

I tried to mount my USB key on Ubuntu too, nothing to do.

So, is there something to do? Or my USB port is dead and I must ship my laptop to Lenovo?

Thanks a lot,

Jack

Retired Guru
Views: 1,620
Message 2 of 5

Re: I had "Power Surge on USB hub port" on my Y430 and now the USB port doesn't work

You can look inside it - maybe just a shortage and crossings of contacts inside port.

If so just fix it by a little pin.

if not - send for repair.

//help will save the world
kzorg
What's DOS?
Views: 1,615
Message 3 of 5

Re: I had "Power Surge on USB hub port" on my Y430 and now the USB port doesn't work

Thanks but, if I open my laptop, the warranty is broken, right?
Retired Guru
Views: 1,600
Message 4 of 5

He meant look into the USB port on the laptop, not look inside the laptop by means of disassembly.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 04-23-2009 06:02 PM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
kzorg
What's DOS?
Views: 1,578
Message 5 of 5

Oooh okay,

I'll try tonight, thanks a lot!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors