cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JN28
What's DOS?
Views: 948
Message 1 of 4

I just bought a Samsung V- NAND SSD 850 EVO 250 GB for my Lenovo Y70 Touch Laptop, How do I use it?

Am I missing something? How do I use this ssd in addition to my Hard Drive and the SSD that came with the laptop? I want to move stuff to the SSD so my laptop will run smoother, please help. If that SSD isn't compatible am I able to migrate stuff from my Hard Drive to the Built in SSD and how do I do that? I appreciate any help I can get, Thank you!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 924
Message 2 of 4

Re: I just bought a Samsung V- NAND SSD 850 EVO 250 GB for my Lenovo Y70 Touch Laptop, How do I use

Normally and non distructive way is to image the original drive Boot partition (usually System_DRV) and Window C partiton. Others don't really matter as they are for lenovo tools and NOVO recovery. The image goes onto a external HD. You need to have or create a bootable CD to use the image and restore to the new drive once its installed in the notebook in place of the existing HD.

Trueimage (pay for program) or Free AOMEI Standard will do the imaging and restoration.

You do nothing to the original HD hence if it don't work out just pop it back in and try again. If there is a UFEI partition you may need that as well. How the sizing of partitions work out I am not sure going to a smaller drive but they can be adjusted.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

JN28
What's DOS?
Views: 869
Message 3 of 4

Re: I just bought a Samsung V- NAND SSD 850 EVO 250 GB for my Lenovo Y70 Touch Laptop, How do I use

Can I just use this ssd in addition to my hard drive though? that's what I wanna do because this ssd is only 250 gb and my hard drive is 1 tb so the ssd wouldn't have enough room for all my stuff

nucleon
Punch Card
Views: 858
Message 4 of 4

No you can't use it in junction with your 1TB harddrive.

The solid state drive you purchased doesn't come with a transfer cable; you'll have to buy that and it's called StarTech USB 3.0 TO 2.5" Sata III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP - Sata to USB 3.0 Convert for SSD/HDD

When you purchase that item; you'll be able to plug it into your laptop and into the new SSD then using Samsungs CD that came with the harddrive (it's called Samsung Magician Data Migration) you'll copy your current harddrive contents directly to the solid state. Clear any unwanted junk on your original harddrive before you do this, mind as well right?

Then dismount the old harddrive from your laptop (doesn't void warranty) and plug the SSD in. You're asking if you can use both harddrives at once? No you can't; better buy a higher quality laptop if you want that functionality (such as MSI or Alienware) but honestly 256gb SSD is better than 1TB HDD just manage your files better.

Do you have a CD/DVD Drive? 

If not you can download the tool to transfer the data here and choose Data Migration:

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors