cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgsilv
Paper Tape
Views: 594
Message 1 of 7

I upgraded my Ideapad Z580 i5 to Windows 10. Big mistake?

I got taken in by all of the messages from Microsoft insisting that my computer was fully compatible and that I should upgrade to Windows 10. It never dawned on me that I should have checked the Lenovo website first to be sure. After the upgrade I noticed two things: (1) the system seemed to be working pretty well, and (2) I couldn't find Dolby Home Theater v4 (one of my absolute favorite programs). When I finally looked at the Lenovo website I found the following page with the heading, "Dolby Home Theater does not work after Windows 10 upgrade" (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht104006).

When I checked the "Windows 10 upgrade supported list" (https://support.lenovo.com/documents/ht103535), as the page instructs, I saw that Ideapad Z580 wasn't on it. The page goes on to say that if your machine isn't on the list, "drivers have not been updated for that machine, and Lenovo does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10." The page continues with possible solutions, but does it make sense to even try them?

Then I found another page on the Lenovo site entitled, "Windows 10 Upgrade Guide - IdeaPad and Lenovo Notebook" (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103611). The news here wasn't any better. It says, "The following listed computer models include hardware components not fully compatible with Windows 10. Therefore, upgrading these models to Windows 10 is not recommended." Unfortunately, Z580 is on this list.

So there are, according to Lenovo, software and hardware issues and two recommendations NOT to upgrade the Z580 to Windows 10. I already did the upgrade. I haven't run every program and I'm not even sure that every program, other than Dolby Home Theater, got through the upgrade (e.g., Youcam didn't). But the system seems to be running pretty well; it might even be running better than it did under Windows 7. I really miss the Dolby program. I have 30 days from July 29 to decide if I want to return to Windows 7. So I have some questions:

1. Since the system seems to be running without any major problems (apart from Dolby), should I stay with Windows 10?
2. If I stay with Windows 10, should I try the solutions described in "Dolby Home Theater does not work after Windows 10 upgrade" (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht104006) to restore Dolby Home Theater?
3. Since Lenovo says that the Z580 has "hardware components not fully compatible with Windows 10", am I headed for problems if I continue using Windows 10?
4. Since there are drivers that haven't been updated, at least for the Dolby program and maybe for others, would it be better to revert back to Windows 7?
5. Is it possible that Lenovo will eventually update those drivers? If so, does anyone know when?
6. I've heard that going back to Windows 7 can be very tricky. Is it worth the effort?
7. If there are missing drivers as well as hardware components that aren't fully compatible with Windows 10, why does my system seem to be running properly?

Sorry for the long post. I know there are posts on this Forum that address these issues, but they are from a year ago - literally from August 2015 - and it's possible things have changed since then.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 581
Message 2 of 7

Re: I upgraded my Ideapad Z580 i5 to Windows 10. Big mistake?

Hello mgsilv,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums.

I shall give you my opinion on your questions.

1. Since the system seems to be running without any major problems (apart from Dolby), should I stay with Windows 10?

That is up to you. The fact that your model is not supported means that Lenovo has not tested some older models. The way I see it, if not tested, there is no guarantee that it will or will not work.

2. If I stay with Windows 10, should I try the solutions described in "Dolby Home Theater does not work after Windows 10 upgrade" (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht104006) to restore Dolby Home Theater?

If I were you, I would try the solutions, especially as long as you have the option to revert to the previous operating system. Make sure System Restore is enabled and working. It wouldn't hurt to create a Restore Point before you attempt any change to Dolby. You also have an option to roll back drivers using the Device Manager in Windows 10.

3. Since Lenovo says that the Z580 has "hardware components not fully compatible with Windows 10", am I headed for problems if I continue using Windows 10?

I cannot answer that because I do not know what type of changes Windows 10 will make in the future, and if your hardware and/or software will continue to be compatible..

4. Since there are drivers that haven't been updated, at least for the Dolby program and maybe for others, would it be better to revert back to Windows 7?

See my reply for #1. 

5. Is it possible that Lenovo will eventually update those drivers? If so, does anyone know when?

I cannot speak for Lenovo, but considering all the new computers that OEM's have to keep up with, I doubt they will go back too far to update drivers for older models. You can always keep checking back to the compatibility lists and drivers on Support to see if anything changes.

6. I've heard that going back to Windows 7 can be very tricky. Is it worth the effort?

I have not heard that.

7. If there are missing drivers as well as hardware components that aren't fully compatible with Windows 10, why does my system seem to be running properly?

It has not been tested. That does not mean that it was tested and failed.

Sorry for the long post. I know there are posts on this Forum that address these issues, but they are from a year ago - literally from August 2015 - and it's possible things have changed since then.

For some models it has.

If I were you, I'd keep using 10 for a week or so just to be sure everything works (printer, ports, your installed older software, etc.). If you absolutely cannot get Dolby or anything else to work, weigh the priorities, keeping in mind the Windows 7 End of Support Dates.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

zroid1
Paper Tape
Views: 565
Message 3 of 7

Uninstall realtek drivers you have on machine. Install Win 8.1 version from below link

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/IdeaPad-Z-Series-laptops/IdeaPad-Z580?...

Reinstall onekey theater. use the lenovo link.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-and-OneKey-theater-Windows-8-1-...

with onekey theater you will be able to use various audio modes via app

Looks like we will need to do it every anniversary or major update
mgsilv
Paper Tape
Views: 535
Message 4 of 7

Thanks so much for your extremely prompt and very thoughtful reply. I'll keep everything you said in mind, and I'll certainly use 10 for at least another week to see how it goes. I gather from what you said that the downgrade from 10 to 7 isn't as dangerous as I thought, and I understand that I can return to 10 whenever I'd like without paying $119. I also understand backing up is advisable when moving from one OS to another. I might have more questions, but in the meantime, thanks again!

mgsilv
Paper Tape
Views: 531
Message 5 of 7

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I'm not sure they will work because this machine originally ran on Windows 7, not 8.1.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 519
Message 6 of 7

You're welcome, and thank you for your reply. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all continues to go well.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

zroid1
Paper Tape
Views: 505
Message 7 of 7

I installed SSD on my machine so it was fresh install on my machine. I still use win 8.1 driver without issue. It your call to decide whats the best.

Top Kudoed Authors