cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superworm
What's DOS?
Views: 255
Message 1 of 2

IDEAPAD Y500 Forced Suspending (Possibly due to overheating)

About two weeks ago my ideapad started to randomly suspend and not turn back on (or enter suspend loops) until I left it alone for about 10 minutes. I ran CPUID HWMonitor and found that core 1 is reaching a max temperature of 88 degrees celcious (190 F). The video card reached 70 degrees celcius.

The restarts occur both in windows 7 which I have been using for months and windows 8 which I havent used since I bought it in January. I also installed a fan in the ultrabay back when I bought it. 

Anyone have a clue whats wrong? It's probably still covered under warranty, but I don't really want to go through the hassle if its a simple issue.

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 222
Message 2 of 2

Re: IDEAPAD Y500 Forced Suspending (Possibly due to overheating)

hi superworm,

Welcome to the Forums.

Can you try to:

1. Set the maximum processor state to 99% to prevent the CPU from throttling down.

2. Open Task Manager and observe the apps that has high CPU usage

If you're still getting 88°C CPU / 70°C GPU temps on idle for 10mins then the CPU is most likely throtlling. The HSF is probably not working correctly too, or the thermal paste is dried out and needs replacement. I recommend you contact lenovo for service as the issues are hardware problems.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors