Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSuresh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,472
Message 11 of 180

Re: IdeaPad FAQ

"Q: Brightness keys are not working in XP...
A: Yes, It's a pity, but for now it's unresolved issue. But lenovo is working on it."

This issue wasn't mentioned in other forum topics about moving from Vista to XP.  Is this still an unsolved issue?

Retired Guru
Views: 18,445
Message 12 of 180

JSuresh, thanks for noticing that. The FAQ is old, I'll update it. The issue is solved pretty well - just need to update BIOS. Here is the latest version.
//help will save the world
Dannyvocal1
Paper Tape
Views: 18,194
Message 13 of 180

Please add to your FAQ the very common question of how to uninstall the Veriface when it won't accept your password (even the one first entered when Vista asked for one).   Some previous poster stated to uninstall in Safe Mode but that doesn't work either (for me).  Please add this to your FAQ, thanks!
alex_radian
Paper Tape
Views: 17,909
Message 14 of 180

CD/DVD problem on Lenovo Ideapad Y710

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my new Lenovo Y710 and all seems to be fine except that my CD/DVD is not automounted nor recognized; I already added exec, auto in fstab config file.

My cd works fine if I modify the /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding acpi=off, but that causes system instability and the system doesn't view the battery status any more (so I must keep it on AC power).

any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance,

alex 

dtw
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,841
Message 15 of 180

Mark,

In the forums please navigate to  lenovocommunity : idea systems : ideapad : Re: Organize favorites (and other things triggered by CTRL-B) keep popping up.

Several of us have the same problem with our Y510 and what seemed to be random crtl-b's, but i've discovered at least one cause, a cable box remote.  IMO this is a pretty serious design flaw requiring an immediate fix or replacement of the problem units with a different model.  I'm posting this email back to the forums and we'll await Lenovo's reply.

Thanks

dtw

Message Edited by dtw on 09-06-2008 08:35 PM
arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,712
Message 16 of 180

Re: CD/DVD problem on Lenovo Ideapad Y710

Hello Alex, did you find any solutions to what you described? I have a y710 and the same happens to mine and on top (DVD not being detected/working) somehow Hardy does some thing so next time I boot into my windows partition the DVD no longer shows up... Very weird... I think has something to do with the 2.6.24 kernels...

If anyone has a solution to this I would greatly appreciate it...

helpu1984
What's DOS?
Views: 16,629
Message 17 of 180

Modified nvidia drivers from laptopvideo2go

Hello,

FYI : I use these drivers nvidia v.177.92 from laptopvideo2go.

Install : no problem

One issue : excessive I/O, hard disk activity  then I used filemon to find that a nvidia process was trying to read a file 'nvcplenu.dll' unsuccessfully.

So I disable the nividia driver service  : no  constant IO anymore.

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,574
Message 18 of 180

Re: Modified nvidia drivers from laptopvideo2go

Alex my Y710 came with ATI Radeon 2600 and is working fine... in both Linux and Windows

The problem of DVD not working in Ubuntu/any other distro seems to be a GRUB not a kernel issue... When anothet bootloader is in the MBR other than Grub windows won't loose the dvd drive, Ubuntu it won't show it up still but at least it won't affect the windows partition...

My issues with Linux:

-DVD not working

-HeadPhone not muting the speakers

BTW I got all the drivers to work in XP, including the Halo, Veriface, special keys etc... if anyone needs help with this I may just be of help to those wanting XP versus Vista...

Message Edited by arixavier on 09-19-2008 08:30 PM
SADASHIV
What's DOS?
Views: 16,525
Message 19 of 180

IdeaPad FAQ

I am desperately looking for remote control for my 52Q laptop.  Please advise me how can I get it.

arixavier
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,803
Message 20 of 180

Re: Modified nvidia drivers from laptopvideo2go

Replacing GRUB with LILO fixes the DVD issue.... I now have LILO in the MBR and can multi-boot just fine and the DVD works in all Oses... Just make sure before you setup LILO that both your MS and / are set to be primary partitions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors