Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiroccoDream
Blue Screen Again
Views: 138,670
Message 1 of 43

IdeaPad P500 screen went dim

I've searched around these forums and not been able to find a solution for my problem.  Here's the whole story.

I've had my IdeaPad Notebook P500 for over a year, and rarely had an issue with it.  Today, I accidently touched the F11 key, which happens to be the "Brightness minus" key. 

Immediately, the screen went very dim, to the point where it actually hurts my eyes to be typing this. 

I can adjust the brightness sliders up and down on the screen, using both the F11/F12 keys and the slider box available from the "Brightness" selection under "Settings".  Even though the sliders go up and down, the screen stays the same very dark level.

Windows 8 64-bit is my OS.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the Intel HD driver.

I have shut down the laptop and turned it back on while holding the F12 (Brightness plus) button.  Yes, it sounds crazy but someone mentioned it on another thread so I figured what the hell.  It was useless, though.

I have rebooted several times.

Anyone have a clue as to why one simple mistype has apparently hosed my computer, and better yet, anyone know what I can do about it?

Thank you.

SiroccoDream
Blue Screen Again
Views: 138,777
Message 2 of 43

Re: IdeaPad P500 screen went dim

Here is a cut and paste from another topic I found through laborious searching.  My P500 is basically a Best Buy packaging of a Z500, so I figured I'd give this a shot, and it worked!  Hope this helps others.

Finaly finaly after 5 hours searching, I found the best solution:

1- install latest driver of Intel Hd Graphic 4000

2- install latest driver of your graphic card

3- This step will fix the problem:

- go to registery by regedit and change the value to 0xf048

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"FeatureTestControl"=dword:0000f048

OR

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001]
"FeatureTestControl"=dword:0000f048

this will fix the problem.

Former Employee
Views: 138,317
Message 3 of 43

Hi SiroccoDream,

Thanks for posting your solution. This would work greatly for customers that may face the same issue as you did.

Thanks again and please do post back should you have further enquiries.

Regards
salspua
What's DOS?
Views: 138,058
Message 4 of 43

I had this problem today, and the Geek Guy from the local Best Buy gave me a fast and easy solution. When booting the computer up, hold down the F12/increase brightness button. Upon bootup, the brightness is normal.

jakob1987
What's DOS?
Views: 137,778
Message 5 of 43

I had this problem just now, and while the regedit didn't do a thing, holding f12 on start-up fixed it immediately. Thanks :0).

chicochan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 137,062
Message 6 of 43

IdeaPad Z500 Touch screen went dim

Hi lenovo community, I just purchased my LENOVO Z500 TOUCH last two weeks ago and i am very impressed with each performance of it. And yesterday I updated my windows 8 to windows 8.1 and all goes so well. But just this afternoon when i turned on my laptop i was surprised because THE SCREEN WENT DIM and hardly see everything in there.

PLEASE HELP ME,  I NEED YOUR CONCRETE SOLUTION FOR THIS!!!! My laptop is only 2 weeks old why this happened???

Regards,

chicochan

ronakbanker
What's DOS?
Views: 137,055
Message 7 of 43

Re: IdeaPad Z500 Touch screen went dim

I too faced the same problem. Go to Settings and disable 'Adaptive Brightness'.

deergogetter
What's DOS?
Views: 136,891
Message 8 of 43

ok...let me begin by saying, I have never posted on a forum before but, I am sooo grateful for the quick fix that got my screen bright again...that I had to go through the process of registering on this site just to post this message. Thank you. The "holding down the f12 key on start up," really does work. I tried the regedit but with no change...I too have recently updated my ideapad p500 to win 8.1. So, I shut down my computer completely, then I pushed the power button and immediately held down the f12 key. when the word Lenovo appeared on my screen, I noticed that the screen was brighter. Now, after testing the dim buttons again, I have found it will not dim...but I would rather have it bright than so dim that I can't hardly see it. Thanks again, and if anyone finds a fix-all to restore the full feature of the dim buttons then please post...thanks
snjdlc
What's DOS?
Views: 136,831
Message 9 of 43

I had this problem and I didn't feel like doing all the uninstalling and reinstalling but I saw this post and tried restarting it and holding the key down. it worked!!! I was so happy, thank you so much.
Highlighted
nune96
What's DOS?
Views: 136,081
Message 10 of 43

Hi everyone!

I have Lenovo P500 Ideapad laptop, and I also hae an issue about the brigtness. I did try all of the versions. Firstly, I would just constantly refresh the VGA x-32 driver, but just today I again got the problem of brightness, and i was trying to do it again, but it shows error and says that my computer does not meet the minimum requirments for the installation. I also tried to restart my computer holding the F12 button, it did work as it got brighter, but now I again can not adjust the brightness, it just stays the same. not up or down. would anyone help me with this problem please?

much appreciated. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors