Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saroman
Not applicable
Views: 5,361
Message 1 of 5

IdeaPad Specs vs ThinkPad Specs

Newegg.com is selling the 15.6" IdeaPad Y550P with Win 7 64-bit Home, an Intel Core i7 720QM(1.6GHz) processor, 4GB RAM, a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M graphics card, a 500GB HD, etc for $899.99.  They are also selling the 15.6" ThinkPad T510 with Win 7 32-bit Professional, an Intel Core i5-520M(2.4GHz) processor, 2GB RAM, integrated Intel graphics, a 250GB HD, etc. for $1029.99.  The ThinkPad is advertised with 6.3 hrs of battery life compared to 3.5 hrs for the IdeaPad.  Nevertheless, the specs for the IdeaPad seem much stronger than those for the ThinkPad.  What am I missing that explains the significantly higher cost of the ThinkPad?  Thanks.

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 5,342
Message 2 of 5

Re: IdeaPad Specs vs ThinkPad Specs

A few (highly opinionated) observations that won't help much:

My kid has that Y550P and he loves it.  He's a gamer.

I'm not a gamer and don't need high-end graphics and the associated battery drain.

I run ThinkPads and I love them.  Personally I won't own a laptop that doesn't have a trackpoint.  You may not care.

ThinkPad support  is excellent, IdeaPad support is spotty.

ThinkPads generally have full international warranty.  IdeaPads vary.

The T510 battery life recommends it to road warriors.

2G of RAM and a 32-bit OS are not sufficient for a modern laptop.  I would not buy this T510 unless I planned to upgrade the RAM and hard drive.  And I would not buy a 32-bit OS in any case.  It kills the possibility of upgrading (and using) RAM later.

Neither of these machines has sufficient graphic resolution IMNSHO.  My kid is happy with x768 vertical, but I tend to run virtual machines and other apps that add lots of window decoration and use up pixels.  I need every one of the 900 vertical on my T400.

I bought my kid's Y550P from NewEgg for $100 more than the current price.  It was a good deal then and is a great deal now.  My ThinkPads are purchased by calling Lenovo sales directly.  They often have discounts available that don't show up on the web.  I got my T400 for ~$400 less than the web price at the time.

YMMV,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

saroman
Not applicable
Views: 5,335
Message 3 of 5

Thanks so much for the quick response and valuable input.

I am a little concerned about numerous reports on this forum of undefined Y550P freeze ups, a problem which seems too common and remains unresolved after several weeks.  The laptop is for my daughter who is in Communications at Boston University.  She does some light weight video processing and a fair amount of photo processing.  As an alternative I am considering a higher-end ThinkPad SL510, although the lack of discrete graphics and its moderate processor makes me wonder.  The screen size (15.6") is fine.  Any thoughts on the SL510 or can you make a recommendation of a system that might fit the bill in the $1000+/- range?  In other words, a system between the SL510 and the Y550P in terms of performance.  What about something if I can convince her to go with a 14"?  Reliability and reasonable, but not necessarily gaming graphics performance is what I'm looking for.

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 5,320
Message 4 of 5

Just about anything will move you up the price list.

I like my T400 with discrete graphics and 1440x900 resolution.  I don't know if those are available these days.

I see on the Lenovo US site T410 and T510 with discrete graphics that are at least _close_ to your price range.  I'd be inclined to look at one of those and configure it with 4G of RAM and Windows 7 64 bit.  One T510 is "the deal of the week".

I can't tell from the site what the T510 screen resolutions are, but I suspect that they are 1366 x 768 like the Y550P.

So far my son is very happy with his Y550P.  He likes the performance and doesn't mind the resolution.  I too am worried about durability, especially since he just moved to Japan, and the machine has no warranty support there.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions.  Maybe call Lenovo sales and ask about different screens and whether there are any discounts floating around.  And whether there is a T400 or T500 around like mine with WXGA+ screens and switchable graphics.

[edit] This just showed up in my inbox: ThinkPad Savings Sale  The T510 there might be just the thing for $939US base price.  I don't know if you have access to that where you are, but here it is just in case.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

saroman
Not applicable
Views: 5,304
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again.  I think you have the right idea about discrete graphics.  I configured this at the Lenovo site for $1224 and found a 10% discount coupon good until March 31.  I think I'll probably go with that.  Seems like a good bet to get my daughter through 3 years more of college because of the computing power plus the reliability of the ThinkPad.

ThinkPad T510 - 1 Year Depot Topseller Warranty

Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
Windows 7 Professional 64
15.6" HD Anti-Glare Display with LED Backlight and WWAN Antenna
NVIDIA NVS 3100m Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Memory
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Camera, 2.0 MP         
320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Multi Recorder Optical Drive (12.7mm)
6 cell 2.6Ah Li-Ion Battery - Dual Mode
None
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable
4313 : 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors