Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ETphonesHOME
Blue Screen Again
Views: 914
Message 1 of 4

IdeaPad Y400 LEFT hinge issue/breakage out of warranty

I discovered back in August that when lifting the monitor up, the bottom chasis was separating from the top. Upon further investigating, I found out that a small silver barrel used as leverage to prop the monitor open had completely SHATTERED. Furthermore, this barrel also served as a "nut" for the bottom screw to attach the bottom chasis to the top. The material has the consistency of nickel and it astonishes me that Lenovo would use such soft metals at a point where there would be the most structural stress.

So I've been researching this issue and it seems that it's ONLY the left hinge that has everyone's laptop in a bind. The problem with mine is that it's is a few months removed from warranty. Prior to purchasing this laptop, I had done a load of research on it and I do not recall this issue coming up. But now that it has happened, it seems to have happened abruptly to a lot of customers. I've noticed that the posts have been popping up consistently since June, July, August, Sept, and now.

What I want to know is if anyone has gotten this common issue fixed? And if so, was it under/out of warranty? And if it was out of warranty, did it cost anything? I certainly don't want to pay for a fix since I truly believe it is a design flaw. I also don't believe it's customer induced since it's NECESSARY TO OPEN THE MONITOR TO USE THE KEYBOARD. The laptop has been subjected to NORMAL USE and it has never been dropped on the ground nor seen agressive movements.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

faceless9
Punch Card
Views: 879
Message 2 of 4

Re: IdeaPad Y400 LEFT hinge issue/breakage out of warranty

My hinges also broke as well, left side...! 

With that said I doubt any manufacturer would fix a physical issue for free when a unit is out of warranty. Contact support t see if you can get a quote. Lenovo sales parts so you may want to contact support so they help you out.

1-877-453-6686 - you'll be prompted for part sales department.

Would you mind posting a screenshot? Maybe someone can help identify the part you need.

Highlighted
sotomayor88
What's DOS?
Views: 858
Message 3 of 4

I also have the same problem and I'm out of warranty. I bought the laptop in the US but I live in Mexico, which makes things more difficult, because I can't contact customer service on the phone.

At this point I don't know what to do. I really like my Y400, it's perfect for all my needs, but with this flaw I can only use it as a desktop replacement. I'm affraid of further damage so I'm keeping it open in my desk all the time. 

Honestly I went for a Lenovo because I thought they had great quality, now I'm not so sure. I don't see them taking responsibility for their mistakes. Maybe I'll just have to buy another one, probably a Dell this time.

Pritinavelcar
Paper Tape
Views: 376
Message 4 of 4

Hi, left hinge of my lenovo is now breaking. No fall or rough usage. Its out of warranty and im unable to open the screen. Is this a manufacturing defect?

I have been reading online of lots of lenovo lp having hinge breaking issue.

Please let me know if u had this fixed with lenovo.

Thanks 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors