Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
novomack
Punch Card
Views: 832
Message 1 of 15

IdeaPad Y400 - how to save recovery image with One Key Recovery

Hello world,

Just bought a Lenovo Y400, which comes with a 1TB HDD. Preinstalled with Win 8.

In Computer I noticed it shows 2 partitions -

C: Windows8_OS about 890GB

D: Lenovo               about 25 GB

On checking with disk management however, it shows 6 partitions

And when checking with Easeus partition master (EPM), it shows a total 7 partitions + 2 discrete unallocated spaces.

Interestingly, the free spaces on these hidden partitions is also different when viewed with Disk Management and with EPM!

Now I have not seen these many partitions before - either in XP or Vista or Win 7.

HDD partitions

I have not read on why these many partitions are needed for Win 8, but probably there are solid reasons.

Usually I feel it is safe to keep the OS on one partition and the files on another.

1) Has something changed in the current OS architecture, which makes this unnecessary ?

Wouldn't it be more convenient if a format and re-install is required to format the OS partition without affecting the files on another partition ?

2) Say I want to partition the current Windows8_OS into 2 - and make a separate partition for my files, will the OKR functionality will be lost ? I have read that changing the default partitions will make OKR unusable.

Is there a detailed guide to use OKR, and know which partitions can or cannot be removed ?

Here is what I know and some of my guesses -

1GB       Recovery Partition (WINRE_DRV in EPM - 382MB used) is recovery reserved by Windows

260MB  EFI system (SYSTEM_DRV in EPM - 31MB used) is probably some Win 8 files

1GB       OEM Partition (LRS_ESP in EPM - 500MB used) is for ??

128 MB Other Reserved partiion (only seen in EPM - 128 MB used) is for  ??

890GB  Win8_OS (Primary (boot,pagefile,crash dump) - 43GB used) is Win 8 and other files.

25GB     Lenovo (Primary - 3GB used) contains some drivers and apps which probably came preinstalled.

15GB     Recovery Partition (PBR_DRV in EPM - 10GB used) probably contains recovery files for Win 8 ?

When I try to use OKR to build a recover image, it tries to put the image in D, which has about 21GB free, but the image itself is 29GB.

So what can I do ?

a) If I shrink C: Windows8_OS and enlarge D:Lenovo and then let OKR put an image in D, will OKR button still work since I have changed the default partition sizes ?

b) If I put that image in another HDD, then there is no use for the OKR button anymore since the recovery files won't reside on the HDD.

Here is what I have done -

1) Created a Win 8 64 bit System Repair Disc, by using Windows' recovery menu (about 380MB only)

2) I have created a system image using Windows recovery menu and put it on an external HDD ( about 40GB+)

Will this help in restoring the system if the need arises ?

Now which partitions can I safely delete to recover more space ?

Once I modify the partitions, will Windows recovery still work using this above disc and the saved image ?

In my last laptop, there was an option to burn recovery DVDs, but I have not really found a similar option here.

There is an option to make a USB flash recovery drive, but I want to create bootable DVDs.

Any advice will be appreciated !

Thanks

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 813
Message 2 of 15

Re: IdeaPad Y400 - how to save recovery image with One Key Recovery

Any resizing of the partitions will cause OKR to be non-functional. See the manual. Doing the Windows backup image will only restore the os but not the OKR feature. What you should do is use OKR to make the backup. If the space is small you can always use an external drive.

The extra partitions that you see are for the okr program.

I would recommend not to tamper with these partitions unless you are ready to deal with the consequences.

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 807
Message 3 of 15

Thanks a lot for your reply.

So OKR is using 4-5 extra partitions ? Man Surprised

If I use System Repair Disc made by Windows and the partition image saved by it on external HDD,then it can still restore the system, to nearly the same state as now. Only I would have to use the disc and windows restore function instead of the OKR. Correct ?

If so, that is not a bad option itself.

If I use an external drive to store the backup by OKR, what will happen when I need a restore and press the Novo button - Will it ask me for the location of the image, since it won't be on the laptop's HDD ?

Is there any way to create an extra partition for my files, separate from the OS partition, yet have OKR function ?

If I partition the current OS segment into a 150GB OS and the rest for a new Files partition and THEN make an OKR backup - will the backup not work or will it then restore to this new partition configuration ?

Though it might be useful to take the space from the last 15GB hidden partition, I don't need to reclaim space from this or the other smaller hidden partitions.

Any more suggestions would help.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 803
Message 4 of 15

If the okr backup image file is in the external hdd and invoking OKR through the NOVO button, you can select "user image file" and you specify its location.

Modifying the partition sizes afaik can be done by recreating the partitions with the desired sizes. You will need to have a copy of the okr backup image file and the program from this site.

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 797
Message 5 of 15

Ok, if I can select the user image file on external HDD, that might be an option.

So, then the question remains. Can I repartition the OS partition into 2 ? One for OS and one for files ?

The link you gave (very informative),

"The solution is to make a new backup image to dump in the recovery partition. If you change the partition size again, you might break OKR again."

seems to suggest that the final OKR image should be of the re-partitioned drive. Though I am not sure it is the right interpretation and whether that would actually work.

Another link also shows some other ways.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/688883-how-restore-onekey-recovery-function-after-...

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 786
Message 6 of 15

If you read the blog in the site it will give you the idea of how to resize C and D. Presently the C is larger than D but in the program provided C is 100 gb and the rest is D by default. Or you can take a look at what I have done here(its not final but I think I have included an example). You can create folders for your personal files in D. Once you have created the partitions using that program resizing them will break OKR again.

That link you gave describes OKR 7 procedure. I think you have OKR 8.

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 769
Message 7 of 15

I think I will have to read up more, before I go through with it.

It could be that I might lose OKR functionality, which would be very convenient with backup files on the laptop itself.

Yes, I have the OKR 8, which does not even seem to have the option to burn recovery files to DVDs.

Have a look at this thread and skay_baltimore's replies on this topic.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/688883-how-restore-onekey-recovery-function-after-...

it seems he has done, what I also think might work.

first resize the partitions, then take a backup using OKR, and it might actually work later.

what I don't understand is what he means by

"I added the space to the unlettered extended partition that houses the proprietary Lenovo D logical drive/partition; I did not try to add the space to the logical D drive itself since that's not possible.)"

I have 4-5 unlettered partitions, so which one should I extend ?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 756
Message 8 of 15

To simplify things I would only edit the indicated configuration file as described in my guide. You can make C the same size as what he (skay_Batimore) has stated (75 gb) but I think 100 gb would be the ideal one considering future installation of programs. It would be a little bit complicated following what he has described since it is based on okr 7. But it is not true in okr 8 that you cant make D as large as possible. This can all be done (partition creation) automatically by simply editing the config file of the program which is easier and less tedious. Also that other posting where you also participated mostly describe okr 7. Look at the label of the partitions they differ from what you have. Reading those postings only creates more confusion. An example is the creation of DVDs in okr 7 which is non-existent in okr 8. Another confusion is they don't distinguish which okr they are referring to but they claim the latest okr.  However, its your decision which one you want.

RE: first resize the partitions, then take a backup using OKR, and it might actually work later. This will really not work since you can't resize without breaking OKR. You can only do this through the program but not backup first but restore first using okr. Why not backup first? Because the program that creates the partitions erases everything so that when its done there is nothing to backup.

novomack
Punch Card
Views: 743
Message 9 of 15

hmm, yes things are quite confusing indeed.

when I use Easeus and try to repartition C into 2, it should not erase the data on D: , or will it ?

When I previously used EPM, it just made the partitions and moved the files itself without deleting or formating it.

But maybe things have changed in the newer version.

also at that time I was only dealing with visible partitions and no invisible partitions.

so maybe data on invisible partitions might be affected.

although EPM does show all the hidden partitions also - in fact it shows one extra "Reserved" partition.

i am thinking I might just have to be satisfied having a Win 8 created System Repair Disc and the Win disk image that i currently have in the external HDD.

repartitioning and keeping OKR seems to be a hassle. Man Sad

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 735
Message 10 of 15

"when I use Easeus and try to repartition C into 2, it should not erase the data on D: , or will it ?"

It will not erase the data but it breaks OKR. So the recovery through OKR no longer work.

"am thinking I might just have to be satisfied having a Win 8 created System Repair Disc and the Win disk image that i currently have in the external HDD.repartitioning and keeping OKR seems to be a hassle."

Its your decision. However, once implemented you can't go back and make okr work again without going through so much hassle. Or you may not totally be able to get it working again without sending your unit to Lenovo (expenses might be incurred on this).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors