Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiredimpact
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,122
Message 1 of 34

IdeaPad Y500 crashing frequently, programs not responding

Hello, 

I received a new ,'IdeaPad Y500 about 3 months ago. Dating back to the first couple weeks of using it, the system has repeatedly crashed and programs have stopped responding. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator programs have, specifically, stopped responding and crashed on weekly and sometimes daily basis. 

When the computer crashes it often goes into AutoRepair, but the repair is unable to solve the problem. I am also often taken to a blue troubleshooting screen after the computer crashes. These crashes often happen when the computer is not being actively used, asleep or hibernating.

A few weeks ago, I caught a virus which  I believe, exasperated the problem but the system has been malfunctioning from the start. The virus has since (fingers crossed) been wiped from the system. 

Do you have any ideas of what could be going on? Or to fix it?

Thank you 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,087
Message 2 of 34

Re: IdeaPad Y500 crashing frequently, programs not responding

hi wiredimpact,

Welcome to the Forums.

To give us a clue on what's causing the crash (if it's a program or a system file), can you try to:

1. Download and install BlueScreenbView (download it here)

2. Run BlueScreenView and post a screenshot of the dump file.

Sample Screenshot:

bsod.png

Let meknow your findings

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

wiredimpact
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,078
Message 3 of 34

Thank you for the response. I tried running BlueScreenView and nothing came up. I could wait for the next time a blue screen appears, but I don't know how long that will be. Until then I am still getting a lot of freezing, programs crashing, and autorepairs. Is there any other way we can look into what's going on? 

Thank you

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,067
Message 4 of 34

hi wiredimpact,

You may try the following to isolate the issue:

1. Perform a clean boot - this disables non-microsoft apps that's running on the system (if the crash is caused by a running application on the backgruond, this temporarily fix it until you re-enable the application).

2. Open Event Viewer to monitor the system for errors (press the Windows logo key‌ Windows logo key+R> type eventvwr and hit enter)

3. If the crash is caused by a bad sector on the drive, try to check the HDD's health by running a diagnostic (try HD Tune and run an error scan).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

wiredimpact
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,060
Message 5 of 34

Hi

The event viewer says that I have had 4 critical errors  and 38 errors  and 74 warnings in the past 7 days. The critical errors all come from the "Kernel-Power" souce with an Event Id of 41 and Task category of 63. The errors and warnings all vary. Do you have any guidence on what I should be looking for in the Event Viewer in order to isolate the issue?

I would like to hold off on the boot scan, for now, but will run the HD Tune to see what it can find. 

Thank you for you help

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,038
Message 6 of 34

hi wiredimpact,

The Kernel Power Error that you're getting is probably similar to this microsoft article.Try to see if the kernel power errors are time stamped when you get the freezing issues.

Does your Y500 come with a 24GB or 32GB SSD? If it does, it's possible configured with Expresscache (for data caching) and Rapid Start (for fast resume time after unit is wake up from sleep). 

To see if Expresscache is working, open a command prompt and type eccmd.exe -info.

Link to picture

- if you get an error, data caching might be disabled / misconfigured or it can be that the ssd is not responding - which explains the freezing issue.

If the PC crashes after being wake up from sleep/hibernate, it's most likely due to the Rapid Start. To verify if you have this feature, open Control Panel (large icon view) > Programs and Features and look for Intel Rapid Start Technology and uninstall it.

Let me know your findings on the HDD diagnostics (if you can detect both HDD and SSD on HD Tune, try running an error scan on both drives).

Regards

wiredimpact
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,024
Message 7 of 34

Hello, 

The Kernet Power Error seems similar to the one described in the Microsoft article. The power errors recorded in the event viewer does seem to align with some of the freezing incidences, but not all. I can't say for sure how well aligned the two are.  In the future, I can try to record the exact time when my computer freezes. 

My Y500 comes with a a Sandisk SSD U100 16GB . The Expresscache is working correctly. I don't believe I have Intel Rapid Start Technology installed. I do have Intel Rapid Storage Technology. 

I ran the HDD diagnostics on both drives. The error scan was clear. However the S.M.A.R.T scan for my HDD (not my solid-drive) displayed a warning that the number of calibration attempts after a calibration failure was at 12. 

Please let me know if you need anymore information. Thank you

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,015
Message 8 of 34

hi wiredimpact,

Thanks for posting back the results. The calibration retry count is the number of times the HDD got initialized (alighnment of head and tracks) when the computer is powered ON and it took 12 times to calibrate the head/tracks of the HDD - this may seem like an imminent failure on the HDD.

In HD Tune, what does it say on the HDD's health? Upon checking the spare parts, the Y500 comes with a 1TB Seagate HDD.

To verify the results in HD tune, can you try to download and install Seatools for Windows and  run the following:

- S.M.A.R.T Check

- Short Generic (Duration: ~5mins)

- Long Generic

Seagate Tests.jpg

Regards

wiredimpact
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,005
Message 9 of 34

health status.PNG

Above is the screenshot of the HDD's health. I ran the Seatools scan. Both drives passed the S.M.A.R.T check and Short Generic. For the Long Generic test, my HDD model: ST 1000LM024 showed the drive status as being "Long Generic - 04:24. I'm not sure if the test was able to finish running.

Finally, when I tried to run an error scan on the HDD with HD Tune Pro, the scan was unable to finish. It scanned about 1/8th of the drive as ok and did not finish the rest. 

Guru
Views: 2,971
Message 10 of 34

Yeah the issue seems to be a HDD issue if programs are not respondig.

I think a HDD replacement is needed.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors