Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThreeFiddy
Paper Tape
Views: 147
Message 1 of 3

IdeaPad Y510P Keyboard malfunction

Hello,

My Lenovo is still running like a train and I have loads of fun with it but yesterday the S key stopped working. I'm a gamer and I need that button. I plugged in another keyboard and as u see, that one works. What could be the problem? Advice would really be appreciated.

Sincerely

ThreeFiddy

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 122
Message 2 of 3

Re: IdeaPad Y510P Keyboard malfunction

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Since you are a gamer and the "S" key is frequently used it is quite possible that the key has failed.  This is especially true if the "S" key is working on a USB keyboard.  I am assuming that the system is no longer under warranty.  If that is true then I would suggest you contact a local computer repair center for a keyboard replacement. 

An alternative, if you are comfortable working inside your computer, is to replace the keyboard yourself.  Replacement keyboards can be found on eBay.  Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain how to do it.  Here is a link to that manual for your reference....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410p_y510p_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Guru
Views: 109
Message 3 of 3

Re: IdeaPad Y510P Keyboard malfunction

I agree with Majestic's analysis, in most certainty the 'S' key has failed. The solution would be keyboard replacement which should cost you around $25 on ebay.

I did this replacement about a year ago and the Hardware maintenance manual is not very helpful. There are youtube videos explaning how to take out the keyboard.

HMM states that push with a screwdriver from the back of the laptop (once you opened it and reached the correct spot) but trust me it wont budge.

You have to slide your finger in from near the exhaust grill and push the keyboard out. Thats the only way to take it out. If you dont feel comfortable with that, then you can approach a local technician or a lenovo repair center.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors