Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msimionescu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 50,223
Message 1 of 14

IdeaPad Y510P Keyboard not working

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P (the non-SLI model), and I've noticed some weird behavior with the keyboard. It does work - like in BIOS, the FN+F1,F2, etc. combinations, and in DOS (before I installed Windows 8.1).

But after installing Windows 8.1 the keyboard has stopped working. It still works in BIOS, which sort of leads me to believe that it's a software/driver issue. 

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 50,063
Message 2 of 14

Re: IdeaPad Y510P Keyboard not working

hi msimionescu,

Welcome to the Forums.

If the keyboard is working fine on the login screen and then suddenly stops functioning when you get to the desktop / metro screen then the problem might be with the Filter Keys - similar to this thread.

Try to turn off Filter Keys by going to Control Panel > Ease of Access > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use > uncheck Turn on Filter Keys then hit apply.

Link to picture

If same problem, you may want to consider doing a  Refresh / Reset.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

msimionescu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 49,938
Message 3 of 14

Hello,

Thank you for the advice, that solved it for me.

Cheers

Sandacz
What's DOS?
Views: 49,040
Message 4 of 14

Hello,

I have Y510P model with two NVidias on SLI.

I am having very strange problems with my laptop. I couldnt find any solution for this on internet, so i am writing here.
I already checked solution above and this is not the case. So:

It just happened to me third time. Currently I am on WIn8, before was once on Win8 and once on Win8.1. Restoring the default system helps, but i would like not to do it each second month.

After restarting the Windows, twice due to update, once not, i am able to login to account. For a few seconds everything works perfectly normal, and then keyboard stops working. Just like that. Othere windows functionalities are working fine, but instability is seen - windows can stuck/hang on random application. Restart is not working - windows is closing, but finally screen and power button are highlited but computer does not turn off. After manual off with power button, it does not turn on -   screen and power button are highlited but no action, no booting screen. It starts again only, if i unplug the cable AND the battery for a moment. I am wondering, is there something in the RAM retentioned preventing from bootup? After this procedure, everything is the same again - login, few words in browser, keyboard not working.

I tried reinstall the PS2 standard keyboard, but to do this, i must restart the computer - which i cannot normal way. When i do it like described above, keyboard is installed again on windows. 

Now, at 3rd time, i experienced also DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, but did not occured due to previous "occassions" of my problem. Can it be somehow related to SSD in general?

Sorry for twisted email, but i hope i made my thoughts clear.
Thanks in advance

piorooo
What's DOS?
Views: 48,972
Message 5 of 14

i have exactly the same problem as you. I bought the same model today and instead of being happy I am frustrated. I dont know what to do. Keyboard works few seconds after logging in my profile and than suddenly stops.

Pls help Lenovo or I will just go back to the shop and give it back. It's annoying...
sampsa
Paper Tape
Views: 47,675
Message 6 of 14

I have the same problem. Every now and then the keyboard seems to stop working. I've found a solution for it though, but it seems that the drivers are broken somehow and would like to see this fixed.

My solution is to press the power button once to make the computer to sleep, and then wake it up again using spacebar. 

I'm also using external mouse. The touchpad rarely works (using Fn+touchpad icon doesn't seem to toggle it properly), but I also prefer having an external mouse.

I have Lenovo Y510P with SLI GPU, running windows 8 (not 8.1).

I also have the latest drivers available.

ChriCo
Paper Tape
Views: 44,691
Message 7 of 14

Hi!

I have the same Problem.

Is it the same issue with Windows 7?

Did you get a solution?

Thanks!

Chris

Sandacz
What's DOS?
Views: 44,661
Message 8 of 14

I didnt try on Win7.

I have blocked partially Windows updates and selecting only the ones with security hole's fixing. It works for now. No true solution.

Regards

JackieFSales
Paper Tape
Views: 44,646
Message 9 of 14

Hi

I had to send back the equipment for repair.

ChriCo
Paper Tape
Views: 44,635
Message 10 of 14

I tested the laptop now with W7 pro and it works perfectly fine. I also made a call @ Lenovo Support. Does anybody have experience with W8 on the Y510P? Many thanks, Chris

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors