Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flankerl
Paper Tape
Views: 20,563
Message 1 of 14

IdeaPad Y510P SSD replacement Question

I'm planning to buy an Ideapad Y510P Laptop, but I noticed that the selection of disk drives are not good enough for this laptop so I want to install an 256GB SSD. In a similar Lenovo Forum, it was explained that it is possible, however, I need to pay attention on the connectors since I need to buy a SSD Form Factor 2.5-inch, m-SATA, and M.2.

So, according to Lenovo website, preconfigured models have Hybrid disk or 1TB5400rpm +24GB SSD, depending of the choice is how the internal adapter/connector will decide if I can add a SSD Form Factor 2.5-inch, m-SATA, and M.2. or not. If this true? or any model y510P model on the lenovo website will accept aSSD Form Factor 2.5-inch, m-SATA, and M.2.?

Could someone guide me to help me to select the correct model from Lenovo Website of Y510p pre-configured models so I can add a SSD Form Factor 2.5-inch, m-SATA, and M.2..

One choice recommended was the following:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E530297EA5CA7304

Thank you in advance for your help and looking forward to here from you soon to place my PO in Lenovo site.

Guru
Views: 20,554
Message 2 of 14

Re: IdeaPad Y510P SSD replacement Question

y510p always has one 2,5" bay, and another bay for m.2 SSD. The problem is, the connector might not be there if you bought one without m.2 drive already installed. There's no mSATA port, that you can be sure of.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Guru
Views: 20,524
Message 3 of 14

I have read certain information and this forum as well. You will ONLY get the connector to put in a M.2 SSD if you buy the 1TB HDD+24GB SSD. If you order the Hybrid drive, you wont get the connector.

So, Are you planning to put both mSATA and M.2 SSD's?

You can also just put in an mSATA SSD or another Hybrid drive with greater capacity, that should be fast enough to serve the purpose.

Also, understand that you will NOT be able to install the Windows 8.1 which you receive with your Lenovo on your new SSD using the Retail version copy. This can only be migrated (but I am not sure how you will do that from one mSATA to another, since there is only 1 port). If you have a Window 7 copy lying around, you can install that or you will have to purchase windows 8.1 retail copy in order to receive a key to install.

Also, you will lose the Lenovo One key recovery feature if you install a new mSATA SSD. (All this can only be migrated, but I am not sure if One Key recovery will work)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Flankerl
Paper Tape
Views: 20,511
Message 4 of 14

Thank you for your prompt answers guys!

I just had a chat with On line sales, but they told me that I can not add a SSD to Y510P and need to call Tech Support... however, I saw that this can be done.

What I would like to do is to improve boot time and load programs faster and current factroy 5400 rpm is not enough for that. So I was planning to remove the factory HDD (5400rpm) and add a 256GB SSD instead, but I'm not sure if that port will allow me to add this SSD, then use a caddy and install it into Ultrabay for the 1TB 5400. Does this make sense?

If I choose the 1TB 5400+24GB M.2 SSD, Sales team said that I can not use it as storage meaning that it will be always used as cache even if I have a add a new SSD as primary for OS. I'm assuming that has to be something with the M.2 SSD code/firmware.

Thank you very much for the Heads up on windows 8.1 retail and OKR, but how about using a SW like Acronis to clone the factory HDD to SSD? will that work? I have never cloned from HDD to SSD but looks like this software is ideally for customers that decided to upgrade their systems by adding a New SSD and transfer info and OS from a HDD.

Thank you all for your great answers!!!

Flankerl
Paper Tape
Views: 20,508
Message 5 of 14

oh one more thing, regarding that there is only 1 msata port, When I was reading on Acronis software, looks like You can clone your HDD to SSD via USB if you can get an enclosure for your SSD, after that you can just swap them, so in theory you system will not noticed any major change....  Smiley Happy

Guru
Views: 20,492
Message 6 of 14

Ok, first of all You can definitely install an SSD, I am not sure why Lenovo support is providing wrong information.

My Y510p gives boot time of around 20  - 25 seconds from shutdown state. I think thats pretty good with stock configuration(1TB+24Gb). Also, all programs load within 1 to 3 secs, I think thats lightning fast.

Now, coming to your questions -

1. I opened my laptop but I didnt check closely which SSD is installed. Probably its only a caching SSD or it has been configured that way. I can't be sure about that information which Lenovo gave you. Also, I do not have an idea about a caddy to install your HDD into Ultrabasy slot.

2. You can definitely clone your HDD to your SSD but the OKR will still not work (Thats something I have read on forums from the moderator/support staff). Atleast Windows 8.1 should work on the SSD.

Now, My personal opinion -

If you are not planning to perform graphics heavy work such as Adobe professional Photoshop, CAD, 3D modelling etc. I would recommend that your current setup is fast enough for playing games, loading up applications, booting the system.

I do not see an advantage in putting extra money into buying an SSD, USB enclosure, the cloning software (it could be free also) and then possibly losing the OKR feature.

All this considering that the system is lightning fast.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Flankerl
Paper Tape
Views: 20,485
Message 7 of 14

Thank you for your answers! and Yeah I was caught by surprised when Sales Support said that I can only upgrade RAM but no SSD can be added even if I purchase one from Crucial web page.

The caddy is a piece of Hardware that fits nicely into ultrabay, I learned that in one of this forums and here's the link, I thought that you might like to take a look at it : http://hddcaddy.com/en/lenovo-ibm-hdd-caddy/432-lenovo-ideapad-y510p-hdd-caddy.html

I'm glad to hear that boot time is around 20-25 sec, all this started since I saw a few videos on youtube where Boot time was around 90 secs aprox.

Regarding the work load, I will work with Adobe tools and eventually some minor video projects but heavy load will be Photoshop and Illustrator, so I think a smart option will be to add the 2nd Video Card by the way right now lenovo site is offering the 2nd Card at 98 USD which I think it's a nice deal from 249 USD.

I will go ahead an purchase the 1TB 5400 + 24GB SSD, it was great hearing all your input and experience on this product.

Thank you all!

Guru
Views: 20,477
Message 8 of 14

If you will buy the extra 755m Ultrabay GPU, make sure to buy the 170W adapter from Lenovo.

Without that adapter the SLI configuration will not work as intended and will result in stock adapter failure, CPU throttling and instability.

You may also need to buy a Cooling pad, since the Ultrabay GPU can run pretty hot.

portsmouth
What's DOS?
Views: 20,234
Message 9 of 14

Is there really not any solutions to keeping OKR while replacing the HDD with SSD? 

weregoingunion
Punch Card
Views: 20,197
Message 10 of 14

It is not true that if you buy the 1TB+8GB HYBRID that you definitely won't be able to install m.2.  I purchased that model and it DOES have a connector.  This is a pretty big risk to take if you definitely want it so just get the 24GB option with m.2.

It is also not true that you can't use the 28GB m.2 as storage.  You can partition this however you like.  If you install a 2.5" SSD then caching to the m.2 is pretty useless.  It's also not much storage either. 

The hybrid drive will use Intel Rapid Storage for caching and as far as I know you can NOT use it for storage, but it's 8GB...

The m.2 will come preinstalled with Expresscache if you buy it with one.  If you add your own m.2 you can download that same software and use it.  You can NOT use Intel Rapid Storage with the m.2 because the BIOS does not allow a RAID setup (but the hybrid is pre-configured in RAID.)  There might be other software you can use but Expresscache is the default and known to work.

If you plan on "tossing" the 2.5" drive it comes with and putting a large SSD in then you really won't have a need for the m.2.  The largest drive being sold is 128GB, I believe.  If you want 2 drives or want that extra space, you can use it.

Of course you can take out the 2.5" drive and put an SSD in its place.  You might go through some trouble if you want to use One Key Recovery or keep it working after the install.  If you want to keep your copy of Windows, you'll need to copy the image from the original drive to the new SSD.  I'm pretty sure you can just install a copy of Windows but not sure if you can install Windows 8 off some new disc and somehow get the BIOS to "transfer" your product key or if you can copy/paste your product key back into the new install. 

For some reason people act like if you lose the ability to use OKR, it's a slow death, but there is no reason you can't install a fresh Windows 8.  The question is whether a new Windows disc would accept the product key you've paid for.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors