Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adidafallen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,858
Message 1 of 16

IdeaPad Y510P Second screen problems

Hello there.

I have just purchased the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P and I am loving it. 

I do have an issue with plugging a second screen to the VGA port, everything works fine with the HDMI port but when I plug a second screen to the VGA port the machine seems to recognize the 2nd screen but there is nothing on the display, it's all black, also the 2nd screen tells me there is no signal detected, I tried 2 different screens which work perfectly on another Lenovo laptop but no luck when I plug it to the new laptop, what's odd is that the system recognize I am attaching a 2nd screen and gives me options of resolutions and screen options like desktop location and such, sadly there is nothing happening on the 2nd screen.

So, I assume something is wrong, funny enough if the VGA port was broken then the system wont recognize that I have plugged a 2nd screen, so how come I don't see anything on the 2nd screen or that it show me on the 2nd screen that there is no signal.

Would love for some support.

Adida

(I am attaching some screen shots of the situation)

Link to picture

Link to picture

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

bkvollmer
Paper Tape
Views: 2,763
Message 2 of 16

Re: IdeaPad Y510P Second screen problems

I would also LOVE to have this topic responded to, as I have exactly the SAME problem.  When I have the DVD in the bay (the GT750MS graphics adapter is out), I cannot get any response from my 2nd monitor plugged into the VGA port.  HDMI port works fine.  Please help!!!!!! 

adidafallen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,737
Message 3 of 16

Yes, the situation is ridicules, I also bought many new cables and connectors to see if something else is wrong, HDMI to VGA, VGA TO HDMI, VGA TO DVI, HDMI TO DVI and so on, nothing works, the VGA port recognize second monitor by brand but cant send a signal to it, sad sad sad, I have to work with the HDMI and I hope this will be fixed soon.

Former Employee
Views: 2,717
Message 4 of 16

Hi all,

thanks for posting. i was wondering if yo have update the drivers to latest?

Regards

adidafallen
Paper Tape
Views: 2,705
Message 5 of 16

Well, the machine is working fine on all accounts, if you mean the drivers of the NVIDIA than i think i am uptodate since the NVIDIA GeForce Experience program tells me so in the updates menu.

is there another place i should look for updates regarding the VGA card output?

Former Employee
Views: 2,695
Message 6 of 16

Hi adidafallen,

thanks for posting back, If I'm not mistaken I believe your system comes with intel GPU aswell and I believe the VGA is controlled by the Intel drivers.

You may want to consider checking the intel GPU setting, might be something there and if changing the setting my best advice it to try updating the Intel drivers either from our support site or from the Intel site directly.

Do post back your results.

Regards
DGU
Paper Tape
Views: 2,591
Message 7 of 16

Hello.

Did anyone find any solution for this? I tried to sent our Y510p to authorized service aswell and they returned it as unfounded even though VGA port clearly doesnt work properly. Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

fosterbt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,503
Message 8 of 16

I'm having the exact same problem. I have a Y510p with the dual SLI Nvidia GT 755m graphics cards. When I connect my external monitor up via HDMI, it is just a black/blank screen.  All drivers are up to date, so it's not that.  Everything else works fine on the laptop.  Lenovo, what's the problem?

fosterbt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,502
Message 9 of 16

also.. forgot to mention, the monitor works fine -- the display works perfectly when connected to my desktop PC running Windows 7.  This happens with the DVI cable too, as well as HDMI ...

fosterbt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,498
Message 10 of 16

woops.. forgot to mention ONE more thing -- This problem happens with 2 different monitors (both that I have tried), an older Samsung SyncMaster, and a brand-spanking-new ViewSonic VX2452mh. Same problem - I can't share the video to an external monitor.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors