Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobedude
What's DOS?
Views: 1,768
Message 1 of 5

IdeaPad Y560 and SATA SSD

I was frustrated at the lack of recent help info on putting an SSD in a Y560, specifically.  I know, it's a five year old machine, but still going strong.  So I'm posting this not as a question but how I did it for future reference. 

I have the top end i7, 500GB, 8GB RAM Y560. 

SSD:  Samsung EVO 850 500GB SATA SSD. 

End result, it works like a charm, the SSD sitting in the hdd slot where the factory Hitachi HDD sat.

What I did.

First, the USB/SATA adapters did not work for me.  I originally tried putting the SSD on SATA adapter.   Was not recognized. 

I tried using Acronis True Image to backup full disk to a separate USB HDD, then restore onto the SSD in the machine.  did not work. 

I ended up putting the SSD and the laptop HDD in my desktop computer (I have extra bays) then using my Acronis True Image to clone the laptop HDD to the SSD.   Then I put the SSD in the laptop.  Initially would not boot - got bootmgr missing error. 

Put the SSD back in my desktop, used Windows disk manager and had to set the system partition as active (not the C drive with the OS).   That fixed it. Booted right up and works great. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,758
Message 2 of 5

Re: IdeaPad Y560 and SATA SSD

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Thanks for posting your experience with the SSD upgrade.  That information may help others who come across this message thread with a similar upgrade problem.

Enjoy the new hardware & Thanks again !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

dobedude
What's DOS?
Views: 1,738
Message 3 of 5

few more details:

Windows 7. 

and, I also upgraded the Y560 with a Intel 802.11ac 2x2 7260 wireless card.  That was a simple swap out.  Had to uninstall the older version of drivers, then reinstall Intel Proset wireless.  Now I have a dual band ac wireless laptop Smiley Happy 

works well.  

joenmargotbravo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,575
Message 4 of 5

I read throught these boards and did some research as well.  I decided i was going to take my Lenovo Y560 0646 series laptop and turn it into a little bit of a hot rod.  Before the upgrades...i was at a windows performance index of about 5.5 but with poor reliability.  Now i am at a cool 6.7 and it runs like a charm..so far : ).  Some background...my laptop kept overheating or something because it always seemed to run hot; this appeared to make the computer go BLUE SCREEN every now and then and then it really started getting bad - once i reached having to reinstall windows 7 for a second time and re-uploading all my apps and files...i was fed up and decided to do something.  Here is what i did to turn my 2010 Ford Focus into a 2017 Ford GT : ): 

* I looked at the RAM and purchased some RAM on amazon.  I purchased 8gb of RAM.  My laptop already had a 4x2 RAM configuration so i simply took the new 8gb stick and combined it with the 4gb stick to make 12gb.  It worked, but not after also installing a new SSD.  In the beginning it did not work.  Here is what i ordered.  

*  I read the above on SSD's and installed in my laptop a 500GB SSD to replace the 640 WD hard drive.  I kept thinking that my laptop issues as explained above may also have to do with the hard drive so i decided to replace it.  I ordered the following hard drive SSD:

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
The SSD wasnt recognized by my laptop in the beginning, but it was recognized by another laptop i had.  After installing the latest BIOS for the KL3  board that comes with my laptop...it was then able to recognize it.  Dont ask me why...it just worked after that.   This SSD comes with free software from Acronis to clone your existing HDD.  This worked fine and i already had the wiring setup and small SATA adaptor box to connect the SSD to my laptop to do the clone exercise.  If you dont have this...you may need to go buy it at Frys or order it from Amazon.  
I would like to echo other comments here on SSD installations...once i achieved this replacement...you could really see and feel the difference in speed and performance.  Startup became a breeze.  Its like the laptop was breathing easier and was now not running out of breath.   I simply cloned the HDD, then pulled it, and then popped in quickly the SSD....and it fired right up - fast!!!  

* i read the information here on the wifi wireless PCIe card upgrade so i decided to do that too.  I easily installed it and the driver from Intel.  The new PCIe card works great and started up right away without any problems.  Here is what i purchased:

* I bought some Arctic Silver thermal paste remover and also bought some Arctic Mx-4.  I pulled the fan and cooling tubes out and cleaned them thoroughly but had not replaced the thermal paste.  I eventually got aroudn to it (with this upgrade exercise) and used MX-4 from an Amazon purchase.  Cant really say if its working or not but my computer has stopped shutting down with BLUE SCREENS but have also raized the laptop on some supports to put some space between it and the surface it is sitting on.  I did order a USB fan cooler to help with cooling as a backup measure.  Here is what i purchased: 
I havent received this item yet though.  i have to admit that the running hot aspect is the one thing i still dont feel like i have solved yet.  If anyone has better options.,..let me know...as i dont believe that just simply cleaning out the fan and cooling tubes, albeit it is a start, completely solves the problem.   

* I have a windows 7 64 bit recvovery disk so i used that and also used the online windows updates to get my windows 7 in order.  With my new speed ... i was able to do this quickly.  My computer now runs much better and without struggle.  

Overall...my y560 has lent itself well to upgrading.  I spent about $350USd and now have a hot rod for a laptop.  I highly recommend doing something like this if you are looking to put together a nice laptop with good functionality and overall speed and not spend too much money.  I almost listened to my wife and went to the store to go shopping for a new laptop...but glad i havent done that so far.    Also, remember, if your laptop y560 craps out - as in the motherboard goes belly up - you can always pull these upgrades and use them on something else.  Or, repalce the motherbaord as well.  The other thing is that the USB ports are only 2.0 and still trying to figure out how to convert them to 3.0.  Also, the blu ray disk player doesnt play blu rays so need to figure that out as well.  Any hints are appreciated.  

Hope this helps those who are struggling with Y560's...

joenmargotbravo
What's DOS?
Views: 1,570
Message 5 of 5

Ohh... i forgot to also mention:

* i also had issues with the battery.  The laptop refused to turn on when the battery was in place.  It would only turn on when i woudl take the battery out and the laptop was plugged in.  I bought a new battery and this problem went away.  

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors