Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SPOTFIR3
Serial Port
Views: 803
Message 1 of 4

IdeaPad Y580 Partition Problems

So I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 but was having some issues with upgrade from within Windows 7 and decided to create a ISO copy on a USB using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and I was going to boot to that and try the upgrade however I run into a problem when it asks for a partition to install Windows 10 on. All the options I have available are OEM reserved and can't be used for the upgrade. There is plenty of room to do the upgrade but because the partitions are all locked because they are OEM partitions I can't use them. Is there any way I can bypass this problem? Is there a way for me to select one of these partitions to install the upgrade for Windows 10 to. I also tried going into Disk Management and try to create a new partition to install Windows to but the computer ships with 4 partitions so I can't create another partition even. Is there any way for me to either use one of the current partitions for the upgrade when it asks me or is there a partition I don't need that I can delete so I can make another partition? I'll add a link to the Disk Management window.

Disk Management Image

Coppec
Paper Tape
Views: 716
Message 2 of 4

Re: IdeaPad Y580 Partition Problems

If I remember well (I am getting old, cant even remember what I did 2 days ago), I only deleted 2 partitions:

1-  200mb one (system, active, primary partition)

2- C: (Boot, Healthy....)

These 2 are windows partitions, one for windows datas, the other for its boot files. You can safely delete them and choose the new "unallocated partition" to install windows 10 on it.

The partition that does not have any name )around 19GB) is the one Lenovo stores the "recovery system" so you do not want to mess with it if you want to keep it.

I strongly recommend you to boot from USB (plugged in a USB 2.0 port near the power plug for best compatibility) and do the fresh - Clean install because the upgrade option only makes everything in win10 terrible. Sometimes things do not work or kinda freeze, irresponsible etc... 

SPOTFIR3
Serial Port
Views: 712
Message 3 of 4

What if I delete Lenovo (DSmiley Happy with the 24.41GB? In the menu to choose partitions it only shows C:, D:, and another drive which is labeled something like Lenovo_2. The reason why I don't want to do a clean install until I first upgrade to Windows is because I won't want to get screwed over with not having a Windows 10 key because it didn't upgrade my Windows 7 key. The D: drive just has a bunch of drivers which I've already copied so I can install later need be. Besides that it has nothing in it.

Coppec
Paper Tape
Views: 688
Message 4 of 4

I really do not know what that 24.41GB partition is in your system. There are some variances of the Y580 and we may have different partition structures. You can just delete it and see what happens next Smiley Very Happy

Btw, back then Lenovo offered free upgrade to windows 8pro (pay 15$ for upgrade key and Lenovo refunds in form of mail in rebate). If you got that one, you will want to first upgrade ur W7 to W8 to get a Win10pro key at the end.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors