Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steelmmoon
What's DOS?
Views: 411
Message 1 of 3

IdeaPad Y580 will not boot past splash screen

Had some worrying crashes recently. Backed up everything and reinstalled windows with a clean wipe with irrecoverable data, assuming it was a software issue.

After reinstalling windows 8, windows update failed to go through the update process properly with various missing files being pointed out. Worrying. Carried out another clean windows install with similar results.

After attempting to simply restart the laptop to confirm updates to windows updater, the laptop now no longer makes it past the lenovo boot screen. Occassionnally it will try an automatic recovery which will tell me it failed. I have tried all possible options here but they nearly always hang on various screens. Sometimes they make it back to the auto recovery failed screen but most never make it past the lenovo splash.

I've tried various fixes that i've found on the forums. Many include using the Novo key to get to bios. Unfortunately this key has never done anything in the 3 years that i've owned the laptop. I had pressed it a few times as I was curious about what it did but thought nothing of it when absolutely nothing happened.

Looking with steps to take now.
For clarification:
IdeaPad y580 most often doesn't make it past lenovo splash screen
When it does it shows automatic recovery failed. No options work
Novo button has never worked whatsoever
Tried flee power startup
I don't have a Bootable usb of the operating system I was running.
I'm currently trying to boot to a USB of windows 10 that i've got. Changed the bios to use legacy settings and boot from usb as a priority, came up with a Windows symbol instead of lenovo, now stuck at a purple screen for the past 30 mins

Any ideas
Guru
Views: 389
Message 2 of 3

Re: IdeaPad Y580 will not boot past splash screen

Try to press and hold the Lenovo OneKey recoverey button on your laptop

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 383
Message 3 of 3

Re: IdeaPad Y580 will not boot past splash screen

@Steelmmoon wrote:
Had some worrying crashes recently. Backed up everything and reinstalled windows with a clean wipe with irrecoverable data, assuming it was a software issue.

After reinstalling windows 8, windows update failed to go through the update process properly with various missing files being pointed out. Worrying. Carried out another clean windows install with similar results.

After attempting to simply restart the laptop to confirm updates to windows updater, the laptop now no longer makes it past the lenovo boot screen. Occassionnally it will try an automatic recovery which will tell me it failed. I have tried all possible options here but they nearly always hang on various screens. Sometimes they make it back to the auto recovery failed screen but most never make it past the lenovo splash.

I've tried various fixes that i've found on the forums. Many include using the Novo key to get to bios. Unfortunately this key has never done anything in the 3 years that i've owned the laptop. I had pressed it a few times as I was curious about what it did but thought nothing of it when absolutely nothing happened.

Looking with steps to take now.
For clarification:
IdeaPad y580 most often doesn't make it past lenovo splash screen
When it does it shows automatic recovery failed. No options work
Novo button has never worked whatsoever
Tried flee power startup
I don't have a Bootable usb of the operating system I was running.
I'm currently trying to boot to a USB of windows 10 that i've got. Changed the bios to use legacy settings and boot from usb as a priority, came up with a Windows symbol instead of lenovo, now stuck at a purple screen for the past 30 mins

Any ideas

Since you have done a clean install the next step is not to update the os yet. The next step is to install the drivers starting with the chipset. Thereafter you may do the activation and update by connecting to the internet. If rebooting results to the stated problem try running if you can the manufactirer's hdd diagnostic program to check the health status of the drive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors