Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LinusRyan
Paper Tape
Views: 561
Message 1 of 15

IdeaPad Y650 constantly freezing

I have had this laptop for about 3 years now, and over the past month it has suddenly started freezing whenever I play a game or anything like that on it. The screen completely freezes and doesn't react to mouse movements or the keyboard, meaning that I have to shut it down by holding the power button down. This was a sudden occurrence as I haven't changed any of the software/hardware on the computer beforehand, so I don't particularly know where to start troubleshooting. I have ruled out over-heating because I have gotten a cooling stand and when it crashes the outlet generally isn't even hot. It's becoming extremely frustrating not being able to use it for longer than 10-15 minutes at the max, so please help me find a solution.
Thanks
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 536
Message 2 of 15

Re: IdeaPad Y650 constantly freezing

Try running sfc /scannow in command prompt with admin rights.

LinusRyan
Paper Tape
Views: 528
Message 3 of 15

I did as said, but the problem continues to occur. I'm not sure if I ran the sfc right though, because when I did a System32 exe window flashed for a second and then disappeared.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 517
Message 4 of 15

@LinusRyan wrote:
I did as said, but the problem continues to occur. I'm not sure if I ran the sfc right though, because when I did a System32 exe window flashed for a second and then disappeared.

Follow the procedure in this link.

LinusRyan
Paper Tape
Views: 511
Message 5 of 15

After I completed the scan, it said no missing or corrupted files were found, yet the computer continues to crash regularly.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 490
Message 6 of 15

@LinusRyan wrote:
After I completed the scan, it said no missing or corrupted files were found, yet the computer continues to crash regularly.

At least we know that the system integrity is fine. If your os is Win 8 and above, check the memory next by typing in the search menu windows memory diagnostics. If it is not possible since your os is different try using a third party program to test them.

Guru
Views: 481
Message 7 of 15

Let me start by saying that laptop freezing could be a sign for one of the following -

1. Corrupted Windows (which you have already checked)

2. Failing HDD (70% of the cases), bad sectors - You should try running a Diagnostic test for your HDD

a) For this, you can use Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Disk management. OR

b) You can also check various tools in Start Menu >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools OR

c) HDD Test Utilities from Microsoft OR

d) Download tools by searching in Google.

I would recommend any of the first 3 methods.

3. Failing graphics card or Mother Board

-- For graphics card test, try logging into SAFE MODE and test your system. Does it crash? If it does, then it is not a graphics card or drivers problem. (since they are not loaded in safe mode)

-- Another test would be to go into Control Panel >> Device Manager >> Disable/Uninstall Display Adapter

Restart System

Uninstall All graphics drivers from Control Panel >> Programs & Features

Restart system

Download and Install Latest graphics drivers.

Restart and check if problem is fixed.

What is your system configuration? That would also help to understand the problem.

I had a Y560, Are you talking about that model?

Let me know about your results.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LinusRyan
Paper Tape
Views: 457
Message 8 of 15

Apologies, yes it is the Y560 running Windows 7 64 bit.

So, the disk management states that all disks are running with the status of "Healthy"

As for the motherboard or graphics card, when running in safe mode I can't test the system because the crashing occurs when I play games, and safe mode doesn't allow that. I also tried the support line, but of course it's located in India so it was quite difficult to understand and the person assisting me said something along the lines of billing me if I wanted to seek further help because the warranty was expired.

Guru
Views: 441
Message 9 of 15

First, I would run a test on the HDD and not go by that Healthy status. You can follow these detailed steps to run a HDD Diagnostic -

1. Go to Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management

2. Right click on the HDD and click on Properties.

3. Go to Tools Tab and click on Check Button.

4. Follow instructions to check the HDD for errors.

If there are no issues then, Have you tried doing a CLEAN install of your graphics drivers?

Here are the steps, please follow these for a CLEAN install -

Make sure you have a working copy of the AMD graphics drivers specific for your system. You can download the latest drivers as well. (The latest drivers didnt work for my Y560, I had to go back to an older version. I sold that laptop 2 weeks ago)

1. Go to Control Panel >> Device Manager >> Display Adapter

2. Right click on the graphics card and click Disable.

3. Now, Restart and Go to Programs & Features and Uninstall all AMD drivers.

4. Restart again and Install the AMD graphics drivers.

5. Restart and test with a game.

If these solutions dont work, last solution is to backup your files and recover your system back to factory settings and test again.

If the system still freezes after these tests, then it is most definitely a hardware problem with the GPU (since your system is freezing while playing games) and you might have to contact Lenovo for a replacement.

I would suggest selling the system and buying a new laptop, since that would give you more worth for your money than a repair.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LinusRyan
Paper Tape
Views: 430
Message 10 of 15

I will test what you have suggested, but yesterday I reset the computer back to when I first bought it with the One Key recovery system, and the problem hasn't stopped.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors