Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
av115
Fanfold Paper
Views: 935
Message 1 of 2

IdeaPad Z510 Wifi options for 802.11ac

Hi all,

I bought a used Z510 off Ebay a couple of days ago as a small upgrade from my Z500. I have a modded whitelist removed BIOS on the Z500 and use an Intel 7260ac WLAN card. Now just learnt that modded BIOS's cannot be flashed on the Z510 without hardware programming. I'm so annoyed at Lenovo for this selfish restriction and I'd seriously consider ever buying their products again.

My question is: are there any 802.11ac WLAN cards that will work on this model? I've looked in the Hardware Maintenance Manual and all I can see are BGN cards, not AC. I've seen a Broadcom AC card mentioned in a thread but the model number was not given.

PS: Does anyone know if the screen brightness issue was solved if one uses a FHD screen on a Z500? I know the Intel HD4000 drivers caused the issue but this thread seems to suggest that using a FHD screen reproduces the problem.

Thanks a lot!

Andrew

av115
Fanfold Paper
Views: 854
Message 2 of 2

Re: IdeaPad Z510 Wifi options for 802.11ac

So there are no Lenovo certified 802.11ac cards for this model? Lenovo won't tell me. Here's their response, very unhelpful as expected:

"Unfortunately all of the products we sell are provided as specified by Lenovo, we do not offer the facility or advice with regards to any modification, upgrade, downgrade or customisation of any of the products we sell I am afraid. The main reason we cannot advise on changing the original configuration of the machine is because we have not tested this ourselves on it, although most computers and laptops are generic you may still run into issues and if you have changed the original configuration of the machine then we would be unable to provide any support."

This effectively makes a 2 year old laptop obsolete curtesy of its own manufacturer. I can't believe it!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors