Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GerryEgan
Serial Port
Views: 7,558
Message 1 of 9

IdeaPad Z560 RAM Memory Upgrade / Installation

Hi, all!  Has anyone successfully upgraded the memory on a Z560?  If so, what specifically did you use?

I tried two different sets of RAM meeting the specs as outlined for my Z560 here on the Lenovo Support site and another set meeting the specs as outline on Crucial's website, but couldn't get any them to work.

When I started up (after removing the 2 2MB cards and inserting 2 4MB cards, the Bios reported that I had the expected 8MB of RAM.

However, Windows 7 wouldn't boot.  It got to a screen saying possible hardward changes prevented it from starting and all the available choices (Safe Mode; System Rescue; etc.) all just continually brought it back there.

I tried several Live Linux discs and they wouldn't boot up either, essentially, just continuing a loop of restarting the computer.

Three technicians at the local Tiger Direct store couldn't see any difference in the spec's of the RAM.

Also, I booted using Hiren's Rescue and ran a memory test on there which also showed the 8MB or RAM.

Any ideas?  Any successes with this?

...Oh, of note (since many may assume the RAM slots are bad, now that I've put the original 2 2MB RAM cards back in, the computer is working normally; I'm using it to post this.

Z560 Model 0914

Thanks,

Gerry E.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,538
Message 2 of 9

Re: IdeaPad Z560 RAM Memory Upgrade / Installation

A couple of suggestions......

With the new memory installed, try doing a reset of the BIOS / CMOS which can be useful in resolving hardware conflicts.  If you haven't tried it already, here's how.......

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

If the above didn't work, try swapping in your new memory one module at a time.  In other words replace just one of the old memory modules for new and then see if the system boots up without problems.  You may need to do a reset after the swap.  If it works then shut down and replace the last old module for new. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Guru
Views: 7,519
Message 3 of 9

Try memtest86?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
GerryEgan
Serial Port
Views: 7,512
Message 4 of 9

Hey, thanks.  I didn't know that specific procedure for resetting the BIOS.  I'd taken the battery out but I didn't know about holding down the power key like that.

However, I returned the RAM I bought so I can't re-try it now.

Have you upgraded yours?

I'm hoping for a suggestion of a specific brand/model that might be know to work.

This is what Crucial's upgrad tool says should work:

http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?displayCompatibleLogo=1&urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&pr...

It's funny, though, because much of the specs don't jibe with those given by Lenovo so I'm not sure if I should order it or not.

Thanks for trying to help.

Gerry E.

GerryEgan
Serial Port
Views: 7,511
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion.  When I had the RAM (I've since returned it), I had no way of running memtest86 except through the Hirem's boot disk in mini-Windows XP mode which only saw 4MB even when the bios was reporting 8MB.  If MY memory is correct (and it frequently isn't these days!) that's all XP would see anyway.

Thanks,

Gerry E.

Guru
Views: 7,494
Message 6 of 9

What about the Windows Memory Diagnostic? Or running each 4GB DIMM by itself?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,471
Message 7 of 9

Gerry, I've never had the opportunity of having to upgrade my Z570 memory.  It came with 8 GB which is more than enough for me.

As for Crucial, through the years I have purchased I lot of memory from them and never had a problem.  Since they guarantee compatibility, the purchase is kind of goof proof.  I don't think you will go wrong with them,

As for the specs, they look good....   PC3-12800 = DDR3 800 MHz  with a 1600 MT/s

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Harish1231
What's DOS?
Views: 842
Message 8 of 9

I have the same problem. Pls help me with needful information
Harish1231
What's DOS?
Views: 706
Message 9 of 9

Even I got same problem, but finally I got solution,.. it won't support 8 GB RAM.. it supports 2×4 GB RAM .That too ddr3 pc3 only... Not pc3l .. and ddr4 .. that's it.. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors