Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smlunatick
Punch Card
Views: 721
Message 1 of 4

IdeaPad Z710 USB 3.0

I bought an IdeaPad z710 laptop in August 2014.  I have been trying to add a new Seagate Slim Backup Plus 2. TB USB 3.0 hard drive.  I do believe that the Z710 has two USB 3.0 ports. I am trying to connect it at the same time as my SIIG 4 port USB 3.0 "powered" hub, on a different USB 3.0, but the hard drive keeps connecting / disconnecting.

Would this be normal?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 695
Message 2 of 4

Re: IdeaPad Z710 USB 3.0

Welcome to the forum !

Yes, your model does have two USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 ports. 

Does the Seagate drive connect without SIIG powered hub being attached ?  If it stays connected when the SIIG isn't attached then I would suspect that when both devices are attached to the laptop that the USB 3 circuit doesn't have enough power to power both.   You'd be better off connecting the Seagate to the powered hub.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

smlunatick
Punch Card
Views: 689
Message 3 of 4

I was trying to connect the SIIG hub and the Seagate hard drive onto each of the USB 3.0 ports.  Yes, the Seagate "behaves" when it is only connected.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 666
Message 4 of 4

I still think the USB 3.0 ports doesn't have enough power to run both devices.  What I would try next is plugging one of the devices into a USB 2.0 port and the other into a USB 3.0 port. These two different style USB ports may have their own separate power circuit.  If that doesn't work then you may just have to plug the Seagate into the hub for use.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors