Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ajay23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,283
Message 1 of 10

IdeaPad Z710: WiFi drivers causing bluescreen

Hello, I have a very new IdeaPad Z710 (Windows 8.1, 64 bit) that I recently purchased. It was fine for the first week, then began to experience connectivity issues.

Not long after that, I began to have windows crash completely, with this message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETwbw02.sys)

I tracked this down, and it's the drivers for the Intel Wireless-N 7260 Wifi.

It makes sense, then, that if this driver is crashing windows, my WiFi also goes in and out.

The issue is that I have tried to update these drivers, to no avail. (Windows said they were the most current)

• I tried rolling back the drivers. The connectivity issues persisted, as did the bluescreen crashes.
  • I tried doing a sytem restore. The connectivity issues persisted, as did the bluescreen crashes.
  • I tried resetting the computer to the original windows, starting clean again, and the same bluescreen came up at the end of the install.

Is there any hope for a fix, and does anyone know a possible solution? If so, I would be very grateful.

I was very pleased with the laptop, up until these issues started to appear. Now I cannot use the laptop for any extended period, because of the frequent crashes.

fensms
Punch Card
Views: 6,256
Message 2 of 10

Re: IdeaPad Z710: WiFi drivers causing bluescreen

Ajay23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,241
Message 3 of 10

I tried that download. Unfortunately, just after running the download, the same bluescreen crash occured. Smiley Sad

rseiler
Punch Card
Views: 6,222
Message 4 of 10

Have you found any other threads on the issue in your travels, especially over on Intel's forum?  If not, I'd start thinking about what might have changed on the machine in the week between when you didn't have the problem and when it started.

BTW, are you referring to the "remove everything and reinstall Windows" option in 8.1?  If you can't even get through that, there's a problem beyond a driver, I would think.

And just for fun, check that you're on BIOS 7FCN95WW (or whatever's newest).

http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad...

Ajay23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,204
Message 5 of 10

Yeah. I did the remove everything/ reinstall via the Windows reset in advanced startup.

I have looked over on Intel's forums, but while the connectivity issue came up now and then, the bluescreen did not.

I spent two hours on the phone with Lenovo, they suggested using the Lenovo reset, rather than the Windows option. So, I wiped everything, reinstalled. Now to do Windows update again. I used the Intel drivers utility, rather than searching manually for the drivers, and it actually found three new updtaes, for the intel graphics, WiFi, and bluetooth drivers. That's better at least. Manual searches somehow did not have those particular updates.

So far, I'm cautiously optimistic, but Windows update is acting suspisciously slow. Fingers crossed. Hard.

Ajay23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,182
Message 6 of 10

Okay.

I followed the instructions given by tech support.

• I Reset laptop via the reset button, located by the power button.
  • In that application, I wiped all data, then reinstalled Windows 8.1.
  • I updated all Intel drivers that had new ones for the model/system. (Graphics/Wireless/Bluetooth
  • I installed all available Windows Updates. Note: during doing so, multiple errors popped up, many due to WiFi failure during download.

After it all, windows 8.1 installed, Windows updates all installed, (critical ones, that is) Intel Drivers updated.

I noticed the laptop was running noticeably slower.

Upon using the internet, (Pandora/gmail) the computer crashes to bluescreen.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETwbw02.sys)

Smiley Sad

rseiler
Punch Card
Views: 6,174
Message 7 of 10

It's interesting that it didn't happen before that, because Windows Update uses the Internet heavily.

Anyway, are you on that latest firmware mentioned earlier?

If you go into c:\windows\minidump, do you see a small file in there with a current date?  It might yield some clues beyond just the network driver name. I upload them here and then peruse the results (if you want, also share the file somewhere, since I wouldn't mind looking at the results too):

http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

If you don't see the file, go into Control Panel and search for "advanced system settings." Advanced tab, Setup button in the "Startup and recovery" section. There you can set it for "Small memory dump" and also see the directory where they should appear (%SystemRoot%\Minidump is the same as the above). Then reproduce the crash.

Ajay23
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,165
Message 8 of 10

Well, as mentioned, errors did pop up during the downloads. It got to the point where the updates had to be done in nibbles, so that the sizes were small enough to download/install before the computer gained its aforemention azure-all-over display and cryptic code.

I didn't get to check out your suggestions, unfortunately. I talked to Lenovo's tech support again, and they said the fact that the errors continued through multiple wipes pointed to a hardware malfunction. As such, I just shipped it off early this morning. I hope they can patch it up. It really is a very nice machine, right up until it locks up. Unfortunately, that's like saying a car is wonderful, exept for the times its engine falls out.

I guess I won't find the fix myself. At least I hope when I get the computer back I never see the message again. If I so, I may well come back here and see if anyone has any clue about it. Here's hoping that is not the case.

Toyic
What's DOS?
Views: 5,038
Message 9 of 10

Having this exact same problem today, this computer has worked fine up until now but as I install Windows 7, then the WiFi driver (fresh install) the computer bluescreens every time I attempt to connect to a wireless network. It works fine other than that. Any ideas?
Toyic
What's DOS?
Views: 5,026
Message 10 of 10

Update:

Managed to confirm that this is not a hardware issue by installing Ubuntu- wifi works absolutely perfectly.

Lenovo's providing a borked driver on their website for windows 7. Can't be a corrupted download, as it was causing the bluescreen on the old system and I downloaded it fresh when I reinstalled windows 7.

So, just use a different OS until Lenovo gets their stuff together (which likely won't ever happen for old laptops such as ours)

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors