Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayley
Paper Tape
Views: 19,754
Message 1 of 16

IdeaPad Z710 battery NOT detected, not charging

I would not have bothered making an account here if I could have found a fix otherwise. The battery is not charging AND it is not detected. I want to stress this because I have seen a million and one webpages for batteries that were plugged in but not charging. Mine is not detected. I have checked my power settings, I have done a power drain (take out batter and adapter, hold power button), I have restarted, I have looked for updates, and I have uninstalled the two battery things in the device manager and restarted again. I did NOT do battery gauage reset because the battery is not detected (I have Windows 8, so Energy Manager rather than Power Manager). I have not touched the BIOS because I'm wary of anything else going wrong.

I bought this laptop in December. It is quite new, still under warranty, and even though I use it every day, it is still good and not bogged down or worn down in any way. I have had multiple problems since buying it, even a few right out of the box (shame on you, Lenovo), all of which I was able to fix myself. I can't imagine why I would have whatever problem I am having right now.

For a short while after this problem initially occurred, I was still able to unplug the laptop and move to another outlet. So it's like the battery was actually detected. But once the battery charge ran out, I couldn't unplug anymore without immediate shutdown. Considering everything I have already tried, is it possible that the battery is bad?

Can anyone help me? I have not been able to find a fix.

And literally, as I have been typing this, my battery was suddenly detected and is now charging again. But I am not satisfied, I want to know why this problem occurred and how to fix it if it happens again, as I suspect it will.

Now that the battery is detected again, should I do a battery gauge reset? I don't have a problem with battery life, so I don't know whether that woud be a good idea.

Hayley
Paper Tape
Views: 19,525
Message 2 of 16

Re: IdeaPad Z710 battery NOT detected, not charging

It has now happened again. All I did was unplug my laptop for about an hour.

jonathan12
Paper Tape
Views: 19,282
Message 3 of 16

I left my computer completly dead, something that i never do, and when i turn in on, plugged it in, and now where it said Battery not detected and i really dont know what to do, can help me please

Link to picture

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in, picture(s) converted to link(s) About Posting Pictures In The Forums

jrthomp
What's DOS?
Views: 19,206
Message 4 of 16

All you need to do is wiggle the battery around a bit. And when I say a bit, I mean remove it, put it back in and lock it, then move the sides around. Do all of this while trying to power it on and it will eventually. The only thing a gauge reset does is recalibrate the battery so that it figures out what % max charge it will hold, it will not fix this issue. I would also recommend downloading a program called BatteryCare, as it will show much more precise battery readings compared to the Lenovo battery tool, as well as keep track of how mant discharges,recalibrations, etc..

The issue is that the contacts on the battery and laptop apparently have a hard time getting along and sometimes even moving the laptop around or even touching the battery will cause it to disconnect. This is a pretty horrible design flaw as it is degrading battery life every time it disconnects, and on a bad day it will do this maybe 5+ times.

Hayley
Paper Tape
Views: 19,175
Message 5 of 16

I appreciate your help, jrthomp. That actually worked, even though it appeared as though there was no wiggle room to speak of. But then, I don't really expect this to be a proper solution, as there are other problems pointing to a defective motherboard, including some serious BSOD errors. Also, I cannot estimate how many times I took the battery out and put it back in. I even got a new battery!

For now, I will just watch to see if it happens again, and will probably send the stupid lemon in to Lenovo to make sure. I'm under warranty until December, after all. Might send it in again in a few months just because I can. If there's a problem with this thing before it's even six months old, then Lenovo should be paying to fix it rather than me. Thanks again, you made my day with this simple fix.

gkrohn
Serial Port
Views: 17,013
Message 6 of 16

Did you ever get a solution to this?  I have the same problem except the wiggling does not work.  And the support at Lenovo really sucks - nobody ever responds to your questions.  I contacted Lenovo in the Phillipines (no US support) and their answer was to take it back to the store where I bought it.  It seems it's a hardware problem that needs a fix.  I too have had it less than a year and i'm very angry about this.

Hayley
Paper Tape
Views: 16,998
Message 7 of 16

I did eventually find a solution, and it's actually a software issue in my case. All you have to do is uninstall Lenovo Battery/Power/Energy Manager. Since I did this, I have had no battery problems at all. I have a few less options now in customizing my power plan, but it is definitely worth it to be able to move my laptop around again. Worse than the problem itself is that Lenovo has put zero work into fixing the software bug, despite all the people who have now reported it.

gkrohn
Serial Port
Views: 16,385
Message 8 of 16

I did send it back to Lenovo and all they did was reset the hard drive.  When i took it back to Fry's again with the same problem, they tried another battery and it worked.  When they put my battery back in, a message popped up to say it was a bad battery and to replace it.  When i clicked on the link to replace it, the "battery finder" could not find the battery for the Z710.  So how am i supposed to get a replacement Lenovo battery?

iacobionut
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,689
Message 9 of 16

Hello Hayley,

Thank you for your reply.

Your solution worked in my case too.

It's a little weird actually, this shouldn't be the normal behaviour of this software, however, I don't think they will improve/fix it soon, so goodbye Lenovo Energy Manager. 

In my case everything worked fine and I decided to remove it from laptop instead of using the conservation plan and after I put it back on ,after 2-3 days, the battery have become "undetectable". Weird.

Thank you for your solution.

Best Regards,

Ciprian

partyjbt
What's DOS?
Views: 15,022
Message 10 of 16

Poor customer service never will I again buy a Lenovo. I had a Asus computer but wife spilled milk on it by mistake so i purchased a Lenovo because of good reviews boy was I wrong. The battery on my Z710 has been used for about 6 months and now it says my battery is not compatiable (factory battery) and Lenovo will not help. Next time I will pay a little more for a ASUS dont waste your time with Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors