Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peteswanson12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,083
Message 1 of 8

IdeaPad Z710 battery not charging

When I bought this computer 6 months ago, the battery worked fine, and would charge fully when the power ran down. But now for some reason, it says 1% available, battery not charging. I've tried to do a cold boot, also I've tried different power management settings, and I've tried taking out the battery and putting it back in. But for some reason, I can't get the battery to charge.

Any ideas?

Pete

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,077
Message 2 of 8

Re: IdeaPad Z710 battery not charging

@peteswanson12 wrote:

When I bought this computer 6 months ago, the battery worked fine, and would charge fully when the power ran down. But now for some reason, it says 1% available, battery not charging. I've tried to do a cold boot, also I've tried different power management settings, and I've tried taking out the battery and putting it back in. But for some reason, I can't get the battery to charge.

Any ideas?

Pete

Check the battery based on the procedure on page 22 of the hardware maintenance manual. You can also check the ac adapter by referring to the manual.

peteswanson12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,064
Message 3 of 8

How do I measure the voltage of the battery terminals? Using a multimeter or something?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,056
Message 4 of 8

@peteswanson12 wrote:

How do I measure the voltage of the battery terminals? Using a multimeter or something?

Yes a multimeter can be use. Use the DC voltmeter function for the voltage and the ohmmeter function for the resistance. You can read the user's guide of the meter for further details.

peteswanson12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,054
Message 5 of 8

OK, the only problem is that I don't have a multimeter.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,052
Message 6 of 8

@peteswanson12 wrote:

OK, the only problem is that I don't have a multimeter.

Well I'm just pointing to you the prescribe procedure of troubleshooting the battery and the ac adapter. There is another way (it's some sort of a go no go type of test) being descibe in the manual. It is based on the led status of the power and battery. You might want to do this. However, the use of the multimeter is more accurate. Too bad you don't have the meter.

peteswanson12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,015
Message 7 of 8

The battery LED is on "Slow blinking amber", meaning that the battery is charging.  But the thing is, the battery is not charging, because when I mouse over the battery icon, it says 1% Available, plugged in, not charging. I know for a fact the battery is not charging, because when I unplug the machine, it turns off.

Pete

peteswanson12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 993
Message 8 of 8

The battery still won't charge.

Any ideas?

Pete

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors