Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
edycbu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,846
Message 1 of 5

IdeaPad Z710 graphics card upgrade options?

Hi guys, i have a laptop Lenovo 17.3'' Z710, FHD, Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ 2.5GHz Haswell, 8GB, 1TB + 8GB SSH, GeForce 840M 2GB, Black, and i would like to upgrade my graphics card for a new one, my Nvidia Geforce 840M graphics card is not integrated into the motherboard,it's a dedicated one and it's changeable, where can i find upgrades ?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,767
Message 2 of 5

Re: IdeaPad Z710 graphics card upgrade options?

Good day and welcome to the community.

While your machine does have discrete graphics, the dGPU is integrated (i.e. soldered) onto the system board. It is not a socketed chip or daughtercard. Very few laptops offered any kind of dGPU upgradeability.

Hope this helps to clarify.
Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

edycbu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,756
Message 3 of 5

ohh really ? when i bought the laptop they said my GPU is not integrated into the CPU, and in the description of the laptop it says the same...i really want to get another GPU, i can't play any ~new~ games, my CPU is always 300% over game's minimum system requirements and my GPU is always lower than 50% and i can't play those games at all.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,761
Message 4 of 5

The dGPU is not integrated into the CPU, but it is soldered (along with its support circuitry) to the system board. As I mentioned very few laptops ever had a dGPU on a socketed daughtercard. The Z710 is not one of such laptops.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

PappaChazz
Paper Tape
Views: 270
Message 5 of 5

Hey, there.  I responded to a similar thread that was from waaaay back in 2015.  This is newer, so I guess I'll toss in my (less than) two cents worth here, as well.  Looking at his question, I'd have a question of my own.  If you wanted to do this badly enough, and were determined enough, you can get a replacement mobo that has no cpu, no gpu, no RAM and no hard drive or anything else on it.  What if you were to

1. keep your old cpu, RAM, and hard drive

2. purchase the mobo that has no gpu soldered on it

3. purchase a newer, bigger, meaner gpu (use gtx 960M as the choice.  Maxwell config and looks identical on the back so far as pins, spaces, etc.)

4. put your old cpu, hard drive and RAM onto the new blank motherboard

5. insert the desired gpu into the slots and replace the cooler

What happens then?  Explosions?  Earthqakes?  Cthulhu arrives and demands nation wide Hokey Pokey?  Or have you found a way to make the desired gpu work?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors