Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emlv
Paper Tape
Views: 729
Message 1 of 12

IdeaPad p500 CMOS?

I would really appreciate some help. I was attempting to set up an external GPU with my IdeaPad P500. I modded the BIOS successfully. Went into the configuration and stupidly disabled my intergrated graphics card thinking my external GPU would kick in finally. Nope. Laptop boots up fine but display doesn't turn on.

I tried connecting the eGPU to my tv via HDMI. It registers that something is there but it is a black screen. My laptop's screen, on the other hand, doesn't even come on. I was wondering if I could reset the CMOS and get out of this mess. But I can't find it. There is no battery. Unless it's on the other side of the motherboard. There are no pins as far as I can tell. I've read about other laptops having soldering blocks which are the CMOS. My motherboard has those but I don't know which one it is or what to do. Please, any help is welcome. Thank you! 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 708
Message 2 of 12

Re: IdeaPad p500 CMOS?

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

In viewing pictures of your motherboard out on the Internet, the battery is located on the underside of the motherboard (side opposite of the processor).  Unfortunately in the pictures I've seen the battery is soldered directly to the motherboard.  Disconnecting it will require some skill to safely unsolder it without over heating the battery or damaging the board.  Here is a picture example for your reference.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-IdeaPad-P500-Intel-laptop-Motherboard-s989-LA-9061P-90001767-/1514908...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

emlv
Paper Tape
Views: 697
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for your help! That really sucks.. Do you think theres any other way to reset the CMOS or to get the display working again?
emlv
Paper Tape
Views: 686
Message 4 of 12

Anyone think it's possible to reset it by shorting the solder points on the battery? I just read an old thread where people recommended that to reset the CMOS. http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1034277

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 649
Message 5 of 12

Even though you have no screen display, have you tried entering the BIOS Setup blindly and then default the settings?  On most Lenovo systems pressing the F9 key when in the BIOS Setup will default and restore all the setting back to their original values which in your case should enable the internal graphics.

As for shorting the battery terminals, it may or may not work.  I recall one discussion awhile back from one member.  Shorting out the battery damaged another component on the motherboard.  Rather than take the risk I would see if a local computer repair center will do it for you and clear the CMOS. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

emlv
Paper Tape
Views: 636
Message 6 of 12

No, shorting the battery terminals didn't work. I tried to blindly access the BIOS setup but it's not working. Mabye I did mess up the BIOS after modding it. It seems as if the laptop boots into windows though. My usb wifi adapter's LED flickers as if its on. I tried blindly logging in and I heard sounds. I don't know if it worked though.

But one other thing is my CPU fan doesnt kick on anymore. It turns on for a second then stops. Is that because the graphics are integrated causing it not to work? Or maybe I shorted something.

I've pretty much given up on it for now. But will replacing the motherboard fix it? Thats the only thing I can think of. It's only about $60 on ebay. I'd rather try that myself than get over charged at a repair shop. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 619
Message 7 of 12

One other thing I thought of.... have you tried connecting a VGA monitor to see if there is a display?  Although the laptop's screen and eGPU are showing no display maybe the VGA will.  Worth a try.

As for motherboard replacement, I don't see why it wouldn't cure the problem.  The replacement motherboard will come with a working BIOS and working BIOS settings. 

emlv
Paper Tape
Views: 614
Message 8 of 12

Yeah I tried hooking a VGA monitor to the laptop. No display. The eGPU doesn't have a VGA port so couldn't try that. 

Definitely going to try replacing the motherboard. Hopefully it works. Have to wait awhile to get one. Thank you for your help! 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 608
Message 9 of 12

I'm glad to have been of assistance.

I don't see why the replacement wouldn't work.  At first I would avoid modding the BIOS or adding the eGPU.  Your first goal is to get the laptop up and running then worry about experimenting later on with the add ons if that's still your plan.  Give the replacement some time to ensure it is operating correctly before tweaking it. 

emlv
Paper Tape
Views: 604
Message 10 of 12

Yeah for sure. I've learned my lesson. Don't go disabling integrated graphics. I will give it plenty of time before I try any experimenting again. I might not mod the BIOS either. At this point I'll just be glad to have it up and running again. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors