Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lcsinos
What's DOS?
Views: 1,198
Message 11 of 21

Re: Ideapad P580 Hinges

Same problem - not receiving help from Lenovo to get parts.  Lenovo online chat and phone suggest going through online providers which do not have parts either.  Why are hinges so hard to not carry in stock - or to obtain?.  With everyones concerns you would think they could put an order in for 1,000 hinges and have them sold within days...  Very poor customer support and will not buy another lenovo if this is the service I get.  I have 2 P580 both 1.5 years old and both hinges are going.. one worse then the other...

lucie12992
What's DOS?
Views: 1,094
Message 12 of 21

I can see from all my reading that this problem will stop me from buying this brand in the future.  My left hinge is broken and I was just starting my search for repair.  Oh, lucky us.  Is there any web site for a formal protest to Lenovo so they can see that this is a big problem

mafiaxxx
What's DOS?
Views: 1,085
Message 13 of 21

follow up with the posts
you can message lenovo and they will make the hinges available to you
I bought two of them

mafiaxxx
What's DOS?
Views: 1,081
Message 14 of 21

i have NO idea

amarin
Paper Tape
Views: 906
Message 15 of 21

Funny at my 13 month my hinges broke. So, NO warranty, I do not know if is funny to read  the same experience or if I should feel scammed 

Having same problem, broken hinges, broken or no bezel screws, built in camera broken. Man I'm so dissapointed with mi laptop.  On top of all I can't find the parts because the website  mentioned inside the thread is not working anymore. So if anybody knows how to solve the puzzle, please help me!!  Thank you. And yes I Lenovo is condemned with its products, under  poor quality. 

Highlighted
RobinGA
What's DOS?
Views: 787
Message 16 of 21

I just had the same thing happen to me. So now a .50 cent hinge is going to make my 600 plus dollar laptop worthless. I bought my Lenovo U580 in April of 2014 and now in August 2015 (16 months later) my left hing has broken away from the screen frame. Absolutely unbelieveable! I've owned two Dell's a Gateway and a HP Laptop and have had no such problems. Yes, batteries have gone, bit nothing as potentially catosrophic as this. If the hinge alone was the only problem I could fix it, butthis is a major design flaw. Threw small screws going into brittle plastic. Why not screw into the aluminum backshell that's just behind the plastic? No more Lenovo's for me. As far as I'm concerned their just cheap (yet expensive) Chinese junk.

RobinGA
What's DOS?
Views: 786
Message 17 of 21

Wear and tear    I agree we've had two Dell's, a Gateway and an HP in my house and no such hinge issues.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules.

kingsfischer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 506
Message 18 of 21

I just have to chime in here to say I am similarly angry about this hinge situation. I pretty much used my p580 as a laptop only within my apartment, was always very deliberate and careful opening and closing (which I did far less frequently than the typical laptop user) and still the hinge broke, damaging the screen in the process. I'm holding the screen together with clamps and cannot adjust the viewing angle except by stacking things underneath the computer. 

The computer is otherwise operating perfectly, but has been reduced to borderline junk. And to think I had my  mother and 2 siblings buy Lenovo laptops on my recommendation. Boy do I feel taken. I don't expect a laptop to last forever and I get it about normal wear and tear but this is obviously a case of substandard engineering, materials specification, whatever are the proper terms for this sort of thing. If the "Lenovo Way" is more than just pretty words, Lenovo would provide repair or equivalent replacement of these broken-hinged machines.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

kingsfischer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 458
Message 19 of 21

I had the same problem on my P580. And I barely used it as a laptop--meaning I never took it out of the apartment, and used it at my desk most of the time; occasionally I would sit on the couch with it. So the frequency of my opening and closing was, I have to assume, way below average. And yet the left hinge broke. I really feel like a fool because I recommended to my mother and brother that they buy Lenovo laptops too, and now I'm left holding the bag on what would still be a great computer--especially since when the hard drive was faltering, I replaced it with an SSD and switched to UNIX, and now it feels like a Ferrari speedwise--but it's half useless because I can't adjust the angle of the screen other than by placing stuff underneath the computer. There's no question Lenovo messed up on the design, yet they seem unwilling, despite all those nice words in their corporate mission statement, to do the right thing. Which in my mind, would be to issue a recall, so that all P580 owners whose hinges break are entitled to a free replacement. Leaving P580 owners with a mostly worthless laptop is a disgrace.

waynestilling
Paper Tape
Views: 434
Message 20 of 21

the lenovo p580 is a good machine, except for the cheap quality of the hinges and plastic parts framing the screen. we have had one hinge break and also the plastic frame has come apart, broken plastic pieces fell to the floor, it's a mess.

I've owned laptops built by IBM (the best quality I've seen in a laptop), and also Dell. Both of these manufacturers made a much better product then lenovo. I'd never buy another Lenovo.

-K Whipp & W. Stillings

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors