Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRoberts91
What's DOS?
Views: 8,629
Message 1 of 21

Ideapad P580 Hinges

Hello,

My name is Jess and I am new to the Lenovo community forums. I'm not sure if I am even posting this in the right place. But I bought my Lenovo Ideapad P580 a year ago. It is not under warranty any longer. A week ago, one of the hinges on the screen broke. I tried to get replacement parts on the Lenovo Spare Parts site, but they are out of stock. As a last ditch attempt, I had my laptop shipped off to Geek Squad for an estimate. They want $500 to replace the entire screen because they refuse to just do the hinges.

I'm just wondering if there is anyway or any place I can buy just the P580 hinges, or if those hinges are also used on another model.

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 8,579
Message 2 of 21

Re: Ideapad P580 Hinges

hi JRoberts91,

Welcome to the Forums.

Here's the part :

90201003 LCD HINGE-H QIWY9 LCD HINGE

90201003 - LCD HINGE-H QIWY9

For the disassembly, check the FRU videos on this link.

Hope you get the issue fixed soon.

Regards 

ADMIN EDIT - Please visit the Lenovo support site to find the latest part numbers and order them through service.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

JRoberts91
What's DOS?
Views: 8,499
Message 3 of 21

Hi neokenchi,

The website lists the hinges as out of stock. I can't get them through any other online vendor, and Geek Squad got back to me today saying that the can't get the parts either.

jcaceres
What's DOS?
Views: 8,482
Message 4 of 21

Hi,

search the part number on the Lenovo website --> click on Help on the top right corner --> Fill out a request form --> Select sales inquiry --> under message enter the part number and request that they make it available. Lenovo will email you in 48 hours on when this part will be available.

Hope this helped.

sidarora
Paper Tape
Views: 8,243
Message 5 of 21

Hi,

Did you finally get the hinges. I'm also facing the same problem - the hinges broke and the parts are unavailable. Lenovo should seriously do something about the quality of the hinges - there are just too many complaints!

Thanks,

Sid

JRoberts91
What's DOS?
Views: 8,194
Message 6 of 21

Hi Sid,

I followed Jcaceres' advice above. It took about a week for Lenovo to get back to me. They managed to locate the hinges and made them available for me to purchase. The part number you are looking for is 90201003. Be sure to include it in your sales inquiry.

I have my new hinges, but have yet to get them installed. Unfortunately the hinge problem caused my LCD bezel to snap, so I have to go through the same process to order an out of stock bezel.

Good luck! I hope you manage to get a set of hinges!

Jess

sidarora
Paper Tape
Views: 8,151
Message 7 of 21

Thanks Jess.

In my case, along with the hinge, it is the back cover's small plastic attachment (that connects the main keyboard with the back-cover) has snapped. So, I will have to purchase the back cover which itself costs a lot! The bezel is thankfully cheaper than the back-cover.

Smiley Sad

mafiaxxx
What's DOS?
Views: 7,920
Message 8 of 21

the entire design of this is substandard

exact same situation as you guys

ferox_d
What's DOS?
Views: 7,665
Message 9 of 21

No response from the levonospareparts.com, then the website no longer works.

In my case, the left LCD hinge broke, it then took out the LCD cover and the bezel. The plastic posts that holds the keyboard cover and the back cover together was broken in 6 places due to the over torque during the assembly process. The keyboard was screwed on so tight with only two screws (the 3rd screw was not even screwed on), the keyboard can not be taken out without taking the back cover apart first. This is absolutely the worst laptop (in material and worksmanship) I have ever own or fixed in the past 15 years and I have owned or fixed over 70 laptops ( I currently own one toshiba, three dell, two HP, and one ausu laptop.)

I must say that the laptop functions very well, the mother board and the CPU are very good, however,  the quality and the design of the hinge, the LCD cover, the keyboard cover, the back cover are all really bad, I well never buy another lenovo ideapad product again.

I did manage to buy the LCD hinge for $57 after I called Leveno at least 10 times and talked to 10 different sales/service persons, they transferred me all over the place and none of them can help me except for one person from the IBM division where I was transferred to by mistake, the IBM person was very professional and was trying to help except he can't access the lenovo parts. I finally get through a service person in the Lenovo ideapad division and he told me that the LCD hinge was out of stock, I then asked for his supervisor and was able to talk to such person who found out that there were 45 LCD hinges available and he made a note to the parts department and told me that some one will get back to me in a few minutes to arrange for the purchase, no calls ever came from Levono.

I called again the next day and again the person in the parts department told me that  the hinge was out of stock, long story short, I was able to tell the person that actually  there were 45 of them available. 10 minutes and $57 dollars later, the hinge was shipped to me. What a nightmare!. I hope my experience can help some one in the future, and more importantly, not to buy a product that you can't get parts for.

Xren321
Paper Tape
Views: 7,204
Message 10 of 21

Hey, My name is Aaron and I bought my Lenovo P580 about a year ago. Around 2 months ago my hinge broke, So i call in and ask about getting it repaired and they say it's out of warrenty and that I'm going to have to pay to have it fixed becuase it is a "Wear and tear Issue" And I thought I'm so gentle with my lap top so how could this be wear and tear? After I then decided to look up issues With Hinges on lenovo products.... And What do i find? Over 40 forum pages filled with lenovo hinge issues! Are you kidding me? wear and tear My ass! ( pardon my language) If everyone is having this issue shouldn't this be somehting they replace or refund ? So i call in and Im told that only one product they have is covered for this issue Even though there is tons of posts regarding this issue! I'm never again going to buy a lenovo product until this one is repaired, replaced or refunded because the customer service has been very bad and this product is certainly not worth the amount of money i paid for it. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has had this issue with any Idea pad model So that maybe they do something about this and fix the issues.

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors