Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KDLGates
Core Memory
Views: 1,296
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad Ultrabay Video Adapter Failure on Windows 8.1

The hope for this thread is that someone who can speak for Lenovo responds to this issue. This issue is severe enough that it simply must be acknowledged.

I have had to "hide" the nVidia update in Windows Update to prevent it from being upgraded to the incompatible drivers again automatically.

Please see: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y500-Windows-8-1-and-SLI/td-... for further information on this. I am creating a new thread because that thread is erroneously marked resolved, when the issue very much is not resolved.

After installing Windows 8.1, we receive error code 43 on the properties for the Ultrabay GPU (paraphrasing, since I have since rolled back drivers, but roughly along the lines of "Windows has disabled this device because it reported a problem").

This is an entire video adapter no longer being used, and a $200 added expense on the laptop I just bought which arrived this week.  Having a new model laptop, which is still being sold as new, not having its critical hardware function the week after I receive it, is a serious problem that needs to be resolved.

The nVidia response on this issue is: "Changes to WIndows 8.1 and how it treats adapters connected to a display requires a VBIOS update for the 2nd GPU. You will need to contact Lenovo for this."

As with many others, I have rolled back to old nVidia drivers which do not actually have SLI profiles for many games, simply so that the second adapter is recognized.

This is a critical issue and Lenovo needs to release a fix for this ASAP. Hopefully a VBIOS update to an Ultrabay GPU is something that can be performed in a software package, making it compatible with future nVidia driver releases for Windows 8.1.

Psyrecx
802.11n
Views: 1,277
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad Ultrabay Video Adapter Failure on Windows 8.1

Lenovo is probably working on it as we speak, but it's mainly Nvidia's fault for not being ahead of this problem with the new update. It's also probably Microsoft's fault, but they really could care less. They've screwed so many things up that they should have known better on and are continuing to do so with this update. So, long story short, it will be here as soon as possible. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 | Intel® Core™ I7-3630M @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M | 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 5400RPM HDD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,220
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad Ultrabay Video Adapter Failure on Windows 8.1

Please keep the SLI discussions to the already existing threads, duplicating threads splits the discussion.

Thread locked

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors