Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan1445
Paper Tape
Views: 3,673
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad Y400 Cannot boot from USB

I have ideapad y400 and am trying to dualboot windows8 and linux.  When I press the bios button on the side of computer, the computer cannot find the usb in the boot menu or the bios.  I am positive the USB is bootable because it works on my old laptop.  There is no option to boot from USB.  In bios, USB Boot is yes (by default).  I can only boot from windows boot manager and ipv4 and ipv6.  No usb.

I read that the USB may not work with lenovo, but I have tried two USB sticks: Sandick and Verbatim.  

I also read that I may need new bios software, but I doubt that because I just got the laptop, and I could not find windows 8 bios update under the y400 drivers.

Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,664
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad Y400 Cannot boot from USB

Hello and welcome,

Try going to BIOS, turning off secure boot, selecting legacy boot or UEFI + legacy.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

hansweeks
Paper Tape
Views: 3,532
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad Y400 Cannot boot from USB

This worked for me just now. I have a y400 and was trying to boot from a recovery disk. The only way to get the optical drive to display was to turn of secure boot, select legacy boot and then legacy first. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors