Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
floflorocks
Paper Tape
Views: 540
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad Y400 Overheating and shutting down

My lenovo Ideapad Y400 has been overheating and shutting down during gaming. The first time this happened when I turned it back on Windows had to do an update (windows 10) I'm pretty sure this was just a coincidence though. This only happens when I'm gaming though and I can usually get it to last longer if I turn the settings to low. I replaced the thermal paste and it actually solved the problem for about 2 weeks without a shutdown and everything worked fine. Before it was shutting off 2-20 minutes into gaming. Just recently it started shutting off again so I decided to make this post. 

Here's what I know:

My temps run mostly around 40c when idle and 60c when gaming. 

Most of the time the computer doesn't even feel warm when if happens.

My fan speed never really speeds up before it shuts off (or ever actually) even when the computer feels hot the fan sticks to its regular speed. 

Some people have suggested replacing the thermal pad on the VRAM. Not sure if a thermal pad is the same thing as thermal paste but I'm pretty sure the VRAM wasn't one of the tings I replaced the paste on.

I replaced the thermal paste on everything that came with thermal paste (I forget exactly which parts these were but I could find out if it's relevant).

There is no way to increase the fan speed on Lenovo's Ideapad models (short of hitting the dust removal feature every 5 seconds). And It wouldn't matter because people who have physically modded their fans and added new ones say it makes no difference with this problem.

I used Artic Silver thermal thermal paste.

I am able to start the computer right back up after it shuts down now but before I replaced the paste I used to have to wait a few minutes for it to cool before it would let me turn it back on.

My drives and bios are up to date.

I am only running one Antimallware program (Windows Defender).

My windows version is windows 10 with the most recent update that just came out today-ish 1/11/17.

Although I have updated 3 times throughout this process starting from that first crash/overheat/whatever is happening.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 463
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad Y400 Overheating and shutting down

Window power management has Active & Passive mode selection for fan cooling. May help but its all in the cooling duct being clear and moving sufficient air across the components. Paste equivalent to the OEM is going to be critical. Intel doesn't use paste. The have some sort of heatsink film which bond to the metal once heat after being coupled together. Maybe that what was also used by Lenovo on the CPU & GPU
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

floflorocks
Paper Tape
Views: 460
Message 3 of 5

My cooling is set to active and when I replaced the paste I also cleaned out the fan and the vents.

Whatever Lenovo used it was a gray rubbery solid and it was almost all worn off by the time I went to replace it. I think the Arctic Silver works as a replacement because the CPU and GPU temps are all fine.

Someone with a similar issue suggested to use "K5 Pro" to replace the "thermal pad" on the VRAM. It's the last comment here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/laptop-shutdown-while-gaming-ple...

Do you think it's possible that the paste/film on my CPU and GPU wore off first, I replaced that and it solved the problem. Then, 2 weeks later, the pad on the VRAM wore off and cause the exact same result as when the CPU/GPU paste wore off?

I know the problem is definitely overheating because otherwise replacing the thermal paste wouldn't have done anything. It doesn't seem likely to me that a software problem would just pop up again like that. I think it's more likely hardware.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 454
Message 4 of 5

You could install a temperature monitoring utility to track when and how much it heating up. Other than hardware heat sunk properly there isn't much you can do. Its possible background tasks are driving the CPU/GPU higher than is should. You can monitor that as well.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

floflorocks
Paper Tape
Views: 433
Message 5 of 5

I have a temperature monitoring program. The problem is there is no temperature sensor on the VRAM. All the other temperatures, including the CPUs and GPU, are running normal.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors