Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faceless9
Punch Card
Views: 1,817
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad Y400 won't power on

Woke up today, sat at my desk, tried to power on laptop and it would not power up. Removed battery and ac adapter and all accessories (including CD drive in ultrabay). Held power button for one minute. Reattached ac adapter and tried to power on laptop. No change, tried battery by itself... No change. Tried attaching both battery and ac adapter, laptop still won't power on.

There are no light indicators at all. No ac adaptor led light when plugged in. No led light indicating that the battery is dead when I hit power button (always witnessed in the past). I had an electrician check my entire house and wall jacks. I utilize surge protectors and replace them accordingly.

Why? Because this will now be the FOURTH time my laptop will require hardware repair. Unbelievable, there are 5 other laptop devices used in my home (none of these are Lenovos), several smart phones, two smart TVs and ONLY this product fails. I stopped taking this laptop outside because of its insanely high failure rate. I chose the 14 inch model with the poor screen resolution BECAUSE I wanted a mobile device not a desktop replacement. It still arbitrarily stops working indefinitely.

This laptop was last repaired in September from Sept 13 to October 3rd. That means I had used this laptop for one week before another hardware failure occurred. I am beyond frustrated. I'm trying to remain optimistic but I simply lost patiences. The service depot make excellent repairs and put effort to make the laptop aesthetically clean (clean, wrap, etc) and I fall in love with the machine again. But it never lasts!

The motherboard was already replaced twice. Several other components were replaced including the ac adapter. I've owned Dell laptops that lasted 5 years. I had this unit 1.5 years. Either my unit is defective or the replacement parts I am being given were on their last legs to begin with.

This used to be my favorite laptop, I like it more than my Macbook Air. But I cannot in good conscious ever recommend Lenovo products to my friends and family.

I don't even want this laptop anymore. The cycle of sending it in for repair and waiting has 100% ruined my joy for this model.

I would like a replacement unit. There needs to be a more permanent solution besides bandaid fixes until the warranty expires.

Please advise. I called Lenovo yesterday (Saturday) and their entire ticketing system was updating.
faceless9
Punch Card
Views: 1,770
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad Y400 won't power on

Issue was resolved. Will be getting a replacement laptop finally. Keep in mind I have gone through so many critical hardware failures. This message is to just show a resolution to this case rather than encouraging getting replacement units. 

I'm satisified with this resolution. The new unit isn't as powerful as my current unit per se but it's more mobile, has a better screen resolution, better battery life, and comes with a new warranty.

THANKS LENOVO!

aznthunda
What's DOS?
Views: 1,748
Message 3 of 5

So I have been experiencing similar problems with my laptop as well. Every once in a while my laptop would shut off on its own and I would have some trouble turning it back on. But eventually it would turn in so I though nothing of it. Little did I know this would lead up to today. I turned my laptop on to browse the web and maybe stream some videos. After maybe 20 minutes of usage my computer completely shuts off on its own. It made this weird popping noise too. I figured this was going go be the same situation as before. But after trying many different ways to turn my laptop back on...I finally gave up because they were unsuccessful. My laptop is not lighting up its LEDs for the battery or AC adapter so I know that power is not getting through to the laptop itself. This is is really disappointing. I barely even used it to its full potential. I initially bought this laptop for intense gaming but never had the opportunity to do so. I didn't think browsing the web and watching videos would ruin a laptop....I did way more with my crappy HP laptop before it died. AND it was touch screen! This is probably my worst investment yet. I highly doubt I would ever buy a Lenovi product again......
faceless9
Punch Card
Views: 1,736
Message 4 of 5

Hey there,

Is your Y400 still under warranty? The problem you described is something the repair depot can fix. It may not be ideal but that's the best option if you're having problems. Your problem does sound similar to my lastest issue as you mentioned. Not sure how long you had your laptop for but these things do happen.

Just want to emphasize that my experience was completely anecdotal. The Y400 model was the BEST laptop I ever purchased in terms of performance and overall experience... When it worked that is! It never ceased to amaze me and I had an amazing time trying different things out. 

Truthfully, the repair depot did a good job with the repairs from what I can tell. I would explain in detail what the problem was and they would do a thorough repair to fix the problem.

It's not like the repair depot can do 12 hour testing to see if your laptop is REALLY fixed. This lead me to the conclusion that my particular unit was defective (still don't know what was causing drastic hardware failures).

I would receive a machine A++ repair to DEAD LAPTOP with little to know warning haha. Again, that's what the warranty is for. Gaming model laptops never really last too long anyways. I thought mine would have lasted longer because it had amazing temperatures and didn't seem to sweat doing that tasks I threw at it.

Too bad Smiley Sad

P.S:

If I was given the choice I would have taken a new Y400 or even better Y410p (y510p would just be me too greedy Smiley Tongue). That's how much I liked my laptop. If it's your only your first repair then do it!

I'm just hoping the Y40, which consumes like a 1/3 less power, won't die while simply browsing website or gaming.

aznthunda
What's DOS?
Views: 1,713
Message 5 of 5

My laptop is out of warranty. I figured this laptop would be a good one.
All I did was browse the web and watch videos. Barely any downloads or app
usage.

I barely even turn it on. This laptop should have lasted way longer than it
has. I haven't even had a chance to take it out of my home.

This is too bad.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors