cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Knighstar
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad Y410p earpiece/headphone jack faulty?

Hello everyone, I just bought a Lenovo ideadpad Y410p yesterday and everything was going well, all except for one thing. I could not plug in any earpiece(I tried various models) or the headphone that came along as a free gift into my earpiece/headphone jack fully... they would always get stuck midway even when I tried using a little more force or using the connectors that were provided.. Even though they were stuck midway in, the computer still registered the plugging in of an audio device but I could only hear the sounds from a side occasionally or none at all. They all fit into my mic jack though but the sounds all came from the speakers. I am no tech expert so does anyone know how to help me solve this problem? Is it a defect?
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad Y410p earpiece/headphone jack faulty?

Hi Knighstar, welcome to the forum.

Can you check this thread, about a "bead" in the jack? Smiley Surprised

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/y410p-Bead-stuck-in-headphone-jack-is-this-...

If that's your issue, please contact the Lenovo Support phone.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Knighstar
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 6

Hi~ Hrm, mine's a different case, it's a weird little piece of metal that's sticking out from a side inside the jack that's why I can only plug all my earpieces in midway I guess(the tips are thin enough to get pass it but not the rest of it). I tried taking it out with a toothpick bup it seems to be stuck quite snugly inside like it's part of the laptop..
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 4 of 6

Well, that little piece of metal should be the "trigger" point, that alerts the computer that you have a jack plugged in. Assuming that the female jack port was manufactored correctly, it should collapse as you insert the male jack, and allow you to push the jack all the way in.

I have two Lenovo systems. On my laptop, the jack goes in without applying too much force. However, on my A520 I need to really, literally hammer the jack, to get it in all the way. The knob of the male jack goes past the trigger point, and then I need to apply around 3 times the force, as I do on my laptop, to get the rest of the jack fully inserted. Once I have it fully inserted, there's no problem with the headphone's sound.

So, it's up to you. If you think that the laptop's headphone jack is truly defective, call support. 

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Knighstar
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 6

I think it is, I'm afraid if I push with any more force, I may break something and that will worsen my case. I never had to hammer my male jacks into any laptop or desktop female jacks before, this is a first. I will call support, thank you for your assistance~
nickgkg
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 6

Hey I had the exact same problem as you.  Once I looked inside I could see the metal part that was stuck.  To fix it I just pushed the audio jack (with a quite generous amount of force and slightly angled towards the metal part) and it finally went in.  Then it was tough to get out again but after putting it back in and taking it out again a couple times it's now become a lot easier.

Top Kudoed Authors