Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pebkac
Paper Tape
Views: 919
Message 1 of 2

Ideapad Y460 - no display after "updating" intel HD graphics driver

Hi everyone.

I have an Ideapad Y460 running Win7 x64 SP1, with switchable graphics - Intel HD / Mobility Radeon 5650.

When I tried to update my Intel hd graphics driver through Device Manager (Display adapters, right-clicked Intel HD Graphics, Driver tab, "update driver", "search automatically for updated driver software"), Device Manager for some reason changed "Intel HD graphics" to "Standard VGA graphics adapter" and resolution became 800x600. I rebooted, but after that, I couldn't roll back the driver (button was greyed out in Device Manager).

I first tried the HD graphics driver from Intel's website for my processor (i5 430 M) but that had a driver signing issue. After disabling the driver signing enforcement, it led to the no-display issue, details in the next paragraph.

I subsequently tried to install the Intel HD Graphics driver from the Lenovo support site (IN2VDO26WW6.exe), but after rebooting, there is no display after the "Starting Windows" screen. The sound at the login screen plays, and I can enter my password and have it log in (based on sound cues), and apparently everything loads fine (can shutdown using Run command), just that there is no display.

I have tried setting my laptop's date to near the driver's date, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

(Yes I did a very stupid thing that caused this whole mess. :C  T_T  )

pebkac
Paper Tape
Views: 827
Message 2 of 2

Re: Ideapad Y460 - no display after "updating" intel HD graphics driver

Solved it myself, in the end.

Long story short, fixed it by installing the ATI drivers, not the Intel ones.

Steps:

Used Display Driver Uninstaller (wagnardsoft) to wipe all existing display drivers in safe mode.

Installed the ATI driver instead. Apparently the ATI driver package for switchable graphics cards has both the ATI and Intel HD Graphics drivers.

Ran into some errors like "inf file not found" during driver installation, bypassed that by manually extracting and pointing Device Manager to the inf file via "update driver".

Two blue screens and a DDU-aided reinstall later, it somehow worked.

Ugh.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors