cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 314
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad Y500 (Model 20193) - Access Intel Rapid Storage RAID management during POST; Modification

I have an Ideadpad Y500 (Model 20193) running Windows 8.1. It has the original/factory 15gb mSATA SSD and ~1tb conventional SATA HDD. The two drives (SSD and HDD) are managed by Intel Rapid Storage, a sort of software RAID management utility. Although Windows Disk Management (via Control Panel \ Administrative Tools) sees the two drives as separate devices (see below), they are in a RAID, so to normal Windows, they just look like a single HDD. I want to remove the SSD from the RAID. It is throwing frequent errors. My Windows Event Viewer (via Control Panel \ Administrative Tools) is full of hundreds thousands of warnings about problems with the SSD. It is nearing end of life. A few times a day the computer will reboot -- but only when running Windows. When I am running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Linux) it will run for a year without rebooting. I suspect that the Ubuntu installation is bypassing the Intel Rapid Storage software RAID and just directly using the ~1tb SATA HDD (ignoring the 15gb SSD). 

I can access the Intel Rapid Storage management program in Windows, but it doesn't give me the option to break apart the RAID; to remove the SSD from the RAID. Supposedly there's a way to access it during POST by pressing ctrl-I, but that doesn't work for me. I can't figure out how to access the Intel Rapid Storage management via BIOS and that's the only place where I could (in theory) break apart the RAID and remove the SSD from the equation. 

I realize, of course, that I could open the case and just physically remove the mSATA SSD. I'm sure that the Intel Rapid Storage utlity would freak out and throw warning messages at me every single time I ran Windows, but it at least the erratic, sporadic SSD failures woudl stop crashing my sytem. I would much prefer to do this via Intil Rapid Storage settings, but I can't find the door to open. 

Finally, I acknowledge that permanently removing the 15gb SSD would (in theory) degrade system performance. However, I don't think it will be noticeable. And in any event, I don't care. I'm using this Y500 as a utility, single purpose computer now. No gaming. No real applications. It just does single-task work on my network now and performance doesn't matter, but stabilty absolutly does. 

screenshot - Y500 disk setup.jpg

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 284
Message 2 of 3

Ideapad Y500 (Model 20193) - Access Intel Rapid Storage RAID management during POST; Modification

Hi SoonerLater,
Welcome to the community forums.
The Y500 uses Intel Smart Response Technology to cache frequently accessed files to the mSATA disk. To break it, you will need to disable the acceleration function under the Intel  Rapid Storage Technology utility.

User Guide:

Here’s a screenshot on how it would look like (click Disable Acceleration to break Intel RST):

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

SoonerLater
Serial Port
Views: 273
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad Y500 (Model 20193) - Access Intel Rapid Storage RAID management during POST; Modificatio

My Intel Rapid Storage app does not show the same options as yours.

RST_3.jpg

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors