Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farhanman
Punch Card
Views: 14,161
Message 1 of 14

Ideapad Y500 SSD Replacement Options/Possiblities

Hi all so my Y500 (SLI) is about to get shipped in and ive really been looking in to solid state drives. I wanted to get the community's help and opinions on this subject.

First, what are your opinions on ssd's? Does it give a significant enough boost in performance (especially on this laptop?)?

What kind of SSD's is the the Y500 compatible with and what brands/sizes do you recommend? Is it even worth replacing the 16 gb ssd that comes with the laptop with a bigger ssd?

And finally, how would i actually install the ssd if i buy it? Detailed instructions would be awesome!

If there is already a thread like this on these forums or anywhere on the internet, please direct me to that?

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 14,074
Message 2 of 14

Re: Ideapad Y500 SSD Replacement Options/Possiblities

hi farhanman,

Solid State Drives are becoming popular nowadays due to it's high performance boost than regular SATA Hard Drives. You can find reviews here.

If your machine was configured to have a hybrid drive (1TB SATA HDD + 16GB mSATA SSD) then this is already a good setup. The 16GB mSATA SSD is used for caching to improve overall system performance - this includes lesser time to boot the OS, faster reading/writing files to the hard drive, etc.,  (see Intel Smart Response Technology).

It's not recommended to change the 1TB SATA HDD to as much as a 512Gb 2.5 SATA SSD as you won't benefit from the 16Gb mSATA caching performance. if you decide to go this step though, you can remove the mSATA SSD and replace the 1TB HDD with the 2.5 SATA SSD.

See page 39 on how to replace the HDD, and page 42 on how to replace the SSD on the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Tmsmith616
Token Ring
Views: 14,068
Message 3 of 14

Y500 and many other windows 8 ideapads don't come with factory reinstall discs. The methodology to creating a usb recovery drive is broken by the fact it will not install on a blank disc. Be prepared to clone or reinstall from an illegal copy of the windows 8 basic .iso file and install your drivers manually.

wasteland
What's DOS?
Views: 14,024
Message 4 of 14

Hi everyone,

My Friend just bought a Y500 without the 16GB msata SSD.  He opened it up and is claiming it is missing the msata connector.  Can anyone verify if you order without the SSD it doesn't come with the connector?  Also where should it be?  He is out of town so I can't look at the laptop myself.

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind he figured it out.  He didn't realise his came with a 16GB SSD already.

bigbadbubba
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,013
Message 5 of 14

Just put a 64gb mssd in my y400 which is pretty much the same as the 500. Clean install of win 7 to the mssd and wiped the 1tb hdd clean. Couldn't be easier. Oh installed from a usb stick install time was about 15 minutes
hcbr929rr2
Punch Card
Views: 13,908
Message 6 of 14

@bigbadbubba

did your y400 model come with the 16gb ssd drive? or did you buy the model that did not come with the cache drive? I purchased the base model that did not come with the cache drive and I'm trying to figure out if I can just install my own to get my OS onto to speed it up

Amonkyjunky
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,674
Message 7 of 14

Hello I also was wondering if their is a way to replace the hard drive that i have for a SSD, I bought the Y500 with the 1TB hhd and was wondering if was compatible with the corsiar neutron GTX 480GB SSD. and if it is compatible with it what steps i would take to install it. sorry I am a total noob @ this stuff. Thanks

Pirringo
Paper Tape
Views: 13,653
Message 8 of 14

Hello.

After configured properly, you will definitively notice a great improvement in performance.

If your machine came with a smaller SSD cache disk you once you install the new SSD you will not receive much help from that cache disk, as it's main purpose (covering the slugginess of the spinning drive) will be gone.

I'd reccommend you not going for a big size SSD, as you will be left with an additional large HDD (your old replaced one?). So the most cost-effective solution would be to get a 60GB to 128GB SSD with SATA-III interface. Nowadays any reputable brand will do (I have an Adata Sx900 myself and couldn't be happier with it).

Most of the good brands SSDs come with a software that helps you in migrating everything from your old drive to the SSD, some of that software is "intelligent" and will adjust for any partition size differences it finds during the migration.

Warning: Once you get in the SSD bandwagon you will never want to go back   ;o)

Amonkyjunky
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,639
Message 9 of 14

Thanks alot for the advise. wasnt shure at first if i needed to get a larger ssd and have to use it to replace everything, or just use it to boot. is thair any thing i should know about what SSD s are comapatible with the y500?

Amonkyjunky
Blue Screen Again
Views: 13,630
Message 10 of 14

Re: Tapped Y500 SSD Replacement Options/Possiblities

One other thing I was wondering to, is it possible to replace my old hard drive that is on the D drive with the original 1TB that is currently on the (CSmiley Happy drive, or is it mandatory to keep the "24.9 Lenovo (DSmiley Happy drive?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors