Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francisxavierp
Punch Card
Views: 12,408
Message 1 of 35

Ideapad Y500 keyboard problems

I own a Ideapad Y500 purchased in Nov-2012. It was working fine until this week and now the keyboard behaves weirdly while typing. The following things happens and it is not consistent with keystrokes. It happens 1 in 50 keystrokes. 1. while typing it adds up few more characters. 2. suddenly the browser is minimized. 3. when using chrome automatically find option is selected (Ctrl+f) and i can find "8TY][" in there. Also the capslock get's on during this. 4 suddenly while typing the cursor move the first letter and automatically types "ew-uiop". any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
n1smo
Token Ring
Views: 12,335
Message 2 of 35

Re: Ideapad Y500 keyboard problems

You are not alone.  I had the same issues, the worst for me was the numpad where it would throw random ````` when hitting the "6" key.  Add spaces with the 8 key and a bunch of other wierd stuff.  The way I fixed the issue was put electrical tape on the touchpad.  Theory being that the Elan touchpad has major shielding issues and is causing interference with the motherboard which in turn causes the keyboard to go crazy.  I don't know if you want to risk your warranty to fix it yourself or if you want to wait for a replacement from Lenovo.  This is a great laptop, can't believe something so simple can cause such a headache.  Do a search on my posts or go read up on it in the touchpad thread.  Good luck.

deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 12,334
Message 3 of 35

I found that when i enabled my Always On USB thru my Bios one nite, my keyboard gave me a fit. Every other word/letter I typed, it threw out some random characters, then would just freeze and then unfreeze about 30 seconds later. I went back in and disabled the Always on USB in Bios and it worked. I tried to enable the AO USB again the other nite and the same thing happened. Thus, no using the AO USB port for me because it causes the keyboard to act up. You might try checking that in your BIOS

deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 12,333
Message 4 of 35

I think a lot of this laptop's issues stem from the Elan touchpad problem and shielding. I was a little disappointed that the Always On USB triggered my problems with the keyboard. That same night, the touchpad just went nuts. I now keep it totally disabled. The keyboard issue is really annoying. Mine will just freeze up randomly sometimes when I'm in the middle of something or randomly spew characters. Don't know what it causing it and hope not to see that on the y580

n1smo
Token Ring
Views: 12,328
Message 5 of 35

That is a great point about the USB Always On function.  I kind of remember that it was an issue for me also when I had it enabled.  I've been running with it off for a week know, basically around the same time when I finally fixed the keyboard issue.  After reading your post, I went into the bios and enabled the Always On function and right now I'm typing and hoping that the keyboard will not go crazy on me.  So far, no signs which is a good thing but honestly, the Always On function acts a little weird on my laptop and I don't really use it.  It would cycle on and off 3 times before it decides to stay on.  So, once I test this out, I'll probably turn it back off.  Trying to think of more stuff to say just to prolong my keyboard usage but that's about it.  I'm going to bed.  Good night!  

francisxavierp
Punch Card
Views: 12,313
Message 6 of 35

I have now disabled the USB always ON option in BIOS. Let me see if this works out. I also think i have some problems with drivers as I always get the error as shown below whenever I boot the system. Thanks to everyone who has replied back. I will see how the system behaves for a day.

Link to image

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 12,258
Message 7 of 35

I was disappointed that the Always On being enabled caused my keyboard to go nuts. I was like "oh cool, I'll enable it and see if I can charge my phone from it". So now that's a feature that's unusable. About the only thing my y500 is good for is remoting in to do timekeeping, bookwork and get me thru the early part of February. IT's going back and I'm going to give the y580 a spin. If that's a disappointment, i guess I'm off to a competitor's similarly specced computer. No choice if they y580 doesn't do what I need it to.

That keyboard thing really irked me. At one point, I had the keyboard acting funky AND the touchpad, while I was trying to remote in and retrieve info. It really had me mad. Felt like tossing the thing out the door.

francisxavierp
Punch Card
Views: 12,215
Message 8 of 35

Though it looked gone for a day after diabling "Always ON" for USB in BIOS, it looked like it was gone but it came back and behaved the same quite few times the next day. I also reinstalled the driver for the error I was getting during login as in my previous post. I got off with the error message and still the problem exists.

Also when typing this post keyboard was behaving weirdly and I was thrown out of the webpage few times when finally I decided to type in a notepad before posting it in the forum. Not sure if doing a system restore or doing a factory reset would solve the problem. Since the issue is not consistant not sure if its a hardware failure or a corrupted registry for any software.Pretty confused, Got this laptop after waiting for a long time and i loved using it until this issue popped up driving me crazy.

Highlighted
judyinnyc
Serial Port
Views: 12,206
Message 9 of 35

Is the keyboard issue only on systems with the Elan touchpad? I have the Synaptics now and have not had any trouble (yet?)
n1smo
Token Ring
Views: 12,200
Message 10 of 35

@judyinnyc wrote:
Is the keyboard issue only on systems with the Elan touchpad? I have the Synaptics now and have not had any trouble (yet?)

I want to venture out and say yes, this is an Elan touchpad only issue.  I think the touchpad is causing interference with the motherboard which in turn is playing games with the keyboard.  My keyboard is still not completely fixed, if I hit the number 6 on the numpad, it'll still throw out a "`" once in a while so it'll look like this "6666`6666666".  Much less now that I've shielded the touchpad with electrical tape.  I'm afraid the devil is going to come knocking on my door soon because I've been hitting the 6 key so much.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors