Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FritsP
Paper Tape
Views: 714
Message 1 of 4

Ideapad Y500: latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Hi,

I have a Ideapad Y500 and have some HDD stability issues. I found that the version which is running on my Windows 10 system is 11.5.0.1207 .  The latest version from Intel is 15.9.0.1015 (date 11/14/2017 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST).

I do not see a recent version on the Lenovo website. 

Which version is recommended by Lenovo or can I install?

My disks are:

SanDisk SSD U100 16GB

ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB 931GB

For some Lenovo products I see new? downloads from 2012 which was Windows 8, so not very recent ..

(https://support.lenovo.com/nl/en/downloads/)

Thanks in advance!

Gewgaw1
Paper Tape
Views: 619
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideapad Y500: latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Hi there,

Lenovo recommends the version on their website, however this does not stop you from installing a later version.

(the reason for this is OEM's test that version well before issuing it)

Than said, stability issues with hard drives is not usually due to IRST.

First get 'seagate seatools' and do a full test to see if your dirve is 100%

Then see if your drive maybe needs a firmware update.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207931en

You did not mention what kind of stability issues you were having, so I am answering you like you know it is.

FritsP
Paper Tape
Views: 602
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Gewgaw1.

I did not find new firmware for my HDD.
I did already some disktests (Lenovo Vantage Hardware Scan tests), but unfortunately this did not find hardware problems.
However the disk was very slow, even I found out that some processes were not started at all, diskmgmt.msc did not found devices (or it took a very long time to detect),
and the laptop dit not shutdown properly, I ended with a black screen but with a powerbutton light not going off while the fan produced a lot of noice.
And during booting I often got HDD connect/disconnect messages.
So then the device driver (IRST) or the harddisk/SSD still appeared to me the possible cause of the problem.
Because Lenovo did not provide support (I had a livechat with Lenovo, but they could not give an answer), and apparently they do not keep the website information for the Ideapad Y500 up to date,
regarding Windows 10, device drivers, possible bios updates etc, I decided to buy a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD drive,
I cloned my HDD, removed the old HD/16GBSSD, placed the new one (with some help), switched on the laptop, and could immediately log in and found out all the issues were solved! And I enjoy working on a faster laptop.

Gewgaw1
Paper Tape
Views: 576
Message 4 of 4

cool beans!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors