Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sys9031
Paper Tape
Views: 3,261
Message 1 of 10

Ideapad Y510P suddenly turns off

My system, Ieadpad Y510P, turns off abruptly sometimes.

The screen blacks out and the whole system turns down without warning or anything.

When this happens, the power button would not work, meaning that I cannot turn on the system by pressing it.

I can turn it on by clicking on the NOVO button (one key recovery button) on the side, and the system does turn on and displays LENOVO logo at the startup and the screen to choose BIOS option, but then it abruptly turn off again within about 6 seconds whether I do anything or not. Then it would repeat turning on and off by itself.

When this cycle of turning on and off happens, the power button does not work and so I cannot turn it off by pressing power button during the startup.

It seems I cannot force turning off by pressing on the power button for long time either.

The system would work fine some time later, as if nothing has happened.

When it turns on it does not display any kind of system message or warning message.

I do not know what exactly causes it to turn off or work fine.

The symptom appears usually when I move my laptop, but it also has occured when I left it sitting on the desk.

My model has M.2 SSD 24GB and I am using Windows 8.1, so it usually boots up fast, but when the sudden turning off happens the system takes a long time to boot up, 4-5 times the usual, as if it does not utilize M.2 SSD to help it boot faster. I suspect that the saved data on SSD might be lost during sudden turning off, but I do not know for sure.

If I power off the system and power it on again, then it would boot up at the usual fast speed, meaning it does utilize M.2 SSD.

For the direct cause of the overall symptom, I think it is hardware problem around AC adapter jack and power button. It does not seem to be software problem from what I can tell. Also I have updated all the drivers and windows but it still happens.

The original cause is probably water damage.

About two months ago, I had spilled some apple juice in my backpack with the laptop in it, standing on side. The laptop got wet for less than 1 inch on the left side where the AC adapter jack and others.

I drained all the liquid out and dried inside using air spray while disassembling and opening as far as I can without voiding warranty.

When I opened the left side of laptop and inspected inside, I found that the board inside seemingly did not get wet at all, and I used air spray inside to dry just to be safe.

Since then I have been using the laptop without any problem except cosmetic damage on the left side of LCD and speaker.

Then the sudden turn off started happening last week.

Any water should had dried out if there was any left, but I suspect it might be sugar residues that came from apple juice causing problem.

Although the juice did not get in the board, the AC power jack and NOVO button (onekey recovery button) were exposed to the juice and I am suspecting those two as possible source of the problem.

I am assuming that this probably requires service from service center, but my warranty has expired last month.

I am trying to buy Post-warranty extension and Accidental damage protection, but it says that I have to wait 30 days after purchasing Post-warranty before filing a new claim.

Also there aren't any service center close by that I can visit easily.

Any ideas about the cause of problem or ideas to resolve would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guru
Views: 3,249
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ideapad Y510P suddenly turns off

Can you check your temperatures? Does this seem to be happening when you're doing something CPU/GPU intensive?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
sys9031
Paper Tape
Views: 3,239
Message 3 of 10

That is what I thought at first, but the same thing (turning on and off) happened when I turned the system on for the first time in the day, meaning it was not in use and was cool in temperature.

So probably it is not temperature-related.

sys9031
Paper Tape
Views: 3,227
Message 4 of 10

The system suddenly turned off again just now while I was using it without any problem.

I tried to inspect it little more and made few more observations.

The system should have had nearly full battery when I made these observations.

1. Status indicator for battery status blinks(turns off briefly) when the sudden turning off happens. Same happens for Power on indicator.

2. Turning on and off cycle happens when AC adpater is not plugged (= running on battery only).

If AC adapter is plugged in, the power button still does not work and all other symptoms are same (I can turn it on only with NOVO button but it turns off soon), but it does not automatically turn on by itself.

But when I unplug the AC adapter, the system would turn on by itself and repeat turning off and on again, even if I do not touch or press any button. When AC adapter is plugged back in, it would not turn off but not automatically turn on.

3. How long it takes to sudden turn off is not always same. It is about 5-6 seconds in average but sometimes it takes longer or shorter. Blinking of battery status indicator coincided the turning off.

4. When the system is turned off and adapter is plugged in, the battery status indicator still blinks in about every 6 seconds instead of staying turned on. (The system is not powered on so Power on button is not lit up)

5. When the symptom happens, every time the system powers on it goes to NOVO button menu where you can choose BIOS menu, boot options, and recovery mode.

I was thinking that it might be something similar of short circuit around AC adapter jack, one key recovery button, and power button due to some sugar residue, but that is only my conjecture.

sys9031
Paper Tape
Views: 3,176
Message 5 of 10

Bump.
Any help?
nilspin
What's DOS?
Views: 3,098
Message 6 of 10

Hello there,

I am having the same problem as yourself(down to the very last detail!)

I took my laptop to the service center, but it ran perfectly fine there(so I was trolled) which goes to prove this problem is really random.

I know this post is 2 months old, but did you find a solution to this problem? It's really important I get it working fine since I need to finish my bachelor's project.

jdvanderberg
What's DOS?
Views: 2,810
Message 7 of 10

Yes, I'm having a similar, but different problem. I've had my Y510P for 20 months and it feels like it has a short in it. Whenever I pick up my computer grabbing it by the front left corner, it shuts off completely. It does this whether plugged in or on battery. It comes back when I press the power button, but it's extremely annoying as it happened in the middle of a presentation today. Any ideas if this is fixable, It's out of warranty, but frustrating that it has a critical problem within 2 years...

Thanks

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,806
Message 8 of 10

@jdvanderberg wrote:

Yes, I'm having a similar, but different problem. I've had my Y510P for 20 months and it feels like it has a short in it. Whenever I pick up my computer grabbing it by the front left corner, it shuts off completely. It does this whether plugged in or on battery. It comes back when I press the power button, but it's extremely annoying as it happened in the middle of a presentation today. Any ideas if this is fixable, It's out of warranty, but frustrating that it has a critical problem within 2 years...

Thanks

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Are you using one hand or two when picking it up?  If it is one handed then my guess is the laptop is flexing due to the weight thus causing a connection problem inside.  The connection problem maybe short related or most likely an open circuit.  Either way to find the problem you would have to thoroughly inspect all connections inside including the solder joints.  A simplier solution would be to get in the habit of using two hands to move the laptop.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

zmrcic
What's DOS?
Views: 400
Message 9 of 10

I can not belive this is accepted answer. Hold it with bouth hands?

I have sam issue...same Y510p. In middle of work, it shuts down. Then I get BIOS window, and I choose "Normal setup"(something like that, will explain correctly later on), then windows(7 professional).

Only thing I can see is that my wireless adapter is off....I can not do anything(disable, reinstal driver....DEAD). I have to restart laptop, than everything is OK, untill next shutdown.....

I'm going mad. Dont think it has nothing to do with power or temperature....like wireless is the issue.

zmrcic
What's DOS?
Views: 378
Message 10 of 10

Have to add something. after shutdown I get NOVO button menu, like I have just pressed NOVO button. I select "Normal Startup", then it goes to windows. If I do not select enything it goes to windows also, since "Normal startup" is selected by default.

Nothing in event log, temperature is OK.

I have noticed loose screw just there, near NOVO button and power input....fixed that. I'll report progress.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors