Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BryantBeck
Not applicable
Views: 8,404
Message 1 of 10

Ideapad Y510P will not recognize AC power supply

I have just received this laptop. I followed the instructions out of the box, installing the battery, then connecting the power. The battery started charging that first time, but after that, any time I tried reconnecting the A/C power supply, the laptop would not recognize the adapter and I am not able to charge my battery. 

I have tried the following steps:

1. Shutting down the computer, removing the battery, and starting the computer from the A/C power supply.

The computer will not recognize the A/C power supply to turn on the computer.

2. Updating all the power management drivers.

Everything was already installed properly.

3. Using the Lenovo Energy Management battery gauge.

I must have the A/C power supply plugged in to use it, but the computer still won't recognize it.

4. Held down the power button for 30-40 seconds then reset the BIOS to default settings.

No change

5. Tested my outlets and connections between my AC adapter cords. 

Everything is working properly.

There is one way that I can get the computer to recognize the AC adapter, and that involves all of these steps shown below, but when I unplug the AC adapter I am right back to the beginning, and I have to redo the whole process. I have just received this laptop and I am quite sure that you shouldn't have to go through this process every time you want to recharge the battery, or use your computer while only powered by the AC adapter.

Steps I have to take to recharge my battery:

A.  Disconnect the A/C power supply.

B.  Shut down the computer.

C.  Remove the battery

D.  Connect the A/C power supply

E.  Start the computer.

F.  Uninstall all battery drivers that are labeled Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method

Battery (which come back every time).

G. Shut the computer down.

H. Disconnect the A/C power supply.

I. Insert the battery.

J. Insert the A/C power supply.

K. Start the computer.

That is the ONLY way I have gotten my computer to recognize the A/C power supply. I know the power supply is functional, but I have no idea why I have to go through all of those steps for the laptop to recognize it. I am still in the 30 day return period (if there is one), and it is under Lenovo warranty. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryant

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 8,358
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ideapad Y510P will not recognize AC power supply

How were you able to know that the ac adapter is not recognized?

dragnoak
Not applicable
Views: 8,351
Message 3 of 10

Hi Bryant, welcome to the forum.

I have a few questions.

1. When you first inserted the battery, and put the power adapter on,  did you wait a while for the battery to initially charge up to full power?

2. What battery setting do you have in the power management?

See this Knowledge base Article:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Y480-plugged-in-but-not-charging-to-full-...

If this is not your problem/solution, see this thead for other hints:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Lenovo-y510p-battery-problem/m-p/1597370#M1...

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

BryantBeck
Not applicable
Views: 8,337
Message 4 of 10

I have this setting: 

It was initially charged up to full power. Textbook set up.

It only shows that the battery is discharging, and doesn't show the "plugged in" icon beside the battery when I try to plug in the A/C power supply.

unclewebb
Not applicable
Views: 8,313
Message 5 of 10

The Optimized Battery Health setting allows your battery to discharge down to about 70%.  In theory, this extends the life of your battery.

The Maximum Battery Life setting allows your battery to charge back up to 100%.  Your charger and battery are fine.  This setting and feature really needs to be explained better.

Do not expect maximum performance, especially when gaming, when your battery is in Optimized mode and in the process of discharging down to 70%. 

BryantBeck
Not applicable
Views: 8,308
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for all of the info and help! My battery is now below 45%, and the charger has yet to kick on. I shut the computer down, took out the battery, and tried to start the computer with only the A/C power supply, but it won't turn on. For some reason it just won't recognize the power supply.

dragnoak
Not applicable
Views: 8,298
Message 7 of 10

Bryan,

Unless you have a way to check the output power, on the jack attached to your power adapter, you can assume that the power adapter has a problem. I'm assuming that you don't see a power light, on the front of your machine, when the power jack is plugged into your laptop.

In any event, I suggest you call the support number, and have in RMA'ed, and send it in for repair.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

JakeSully
Not applicable
Views: 8,276
Message 8 of 10

correction for you unclewebb it discharges to 60% not 70% since whenever i use that profile mine discharges down to 60% then it stops so idk if it's diffirent to laptops models at lenovo but mine is a y510p and it discharges to 60%.
BryantBeck
Not applicable
Views: 8,265
Message 9 of 10

I got in touch with Lenovo Technical Support. The guy remote accessed my machine, and couldn't get it to work either. He said he had never seen this problem and that it was the first time anything like this had happened to my type of computer. It looks like i'll be sending my machine back. 

My computer specs (for reference):

• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor 

• Windows 8.1 64
• 15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare with integrated camera 
• NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 1TB 5400 RPM + 24GB SSD
• Blu-ray/DVD-RW
• Intel 7260 b/g/n Wireless 
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• 6 Cell 72 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

rockykoston
Not applicable
Views: 8,251
Message 10 of 10

Where do you live BryantBeck?

I have an extra Lenovo charger 120W, if you are close by, maybe I can help.

You should try to get another charger tp test your system, seems like your charger is faulty.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors