Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlaPongTai
Punch Card
Views: 1,680
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad Y550 turns itself off after a couple of seconds. Help

As of today, my ideapad y550 isn't turning on.

It's weird because it was working just fine today but the monitor suddenly turned off and wouldn't turn back on.

So I turned it off and turned it back on, but it would turn on just for a couple of seconds and turn itself off.

So basically I can't do anything. When I press the power button, it turns on for a couple seconds and turns off.

I have no clue why this is.

I bought it in 2009 summer and its OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ps- I really need my laptop to work because I have to go back to my dorm couple days later. Smiley Sad

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,636
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad Y550 turns itself off after a couple of seconds. Help

is there enough energy on battery?

try to plug ac/dc adapter and try again.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
AlaPongTai
Punch Card
Views: 1,617
Message 3 of 5

Yes. There is. Still turns off after a couple of seconds.

VeryVulnificus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,558
Message 4 of 5

I had been experiencing this issue with my laptop and thought it may have something to do with having recently being dipped in some water (fun, fun) but after some diagnosis of my own it turns out it may be a cpu issue.  If you feel tech-savvy enough, or know someone who is, you may consider replacing your thermal grease on the cpu.

I had been having the same shutdown between bios-windows load screen and decided it was time to disect.  As it turns out, the thermal paste on a lot of these is really, really shoddy. If the thermal paste is insufficient, the cpu will not have a good connection to the heatsink and overheat, shutting the computer down as a side effect.  I just came in to work, scraped off the old stuff and put on new and I type this from my laptop that has been on for a consecutive hour.  Hope this helps. 

As a sidenote, I had been able to run without issue on battery alone, but I suspect that's because I had set the battery cpu power very low, so it took much longer to overheat.

AlaPongTai
Punch Card
Views: 1,546
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the response. So you're saying that it's the thermal paste issue correct?

That's pretty strange because I've never heard of such a problem. I've heard of heating problems but not thermal paste issues...

Also, my laptop is pretty new. Not even a year old. I got it last summer, so I don't really get why it's having a problem.

Lenovo's product craftsmanship can't be that bad right? I thought it was pretty solid.

I called the lenovo tech support and they think it's the motherboard, so I have to send the laptop to some place in Texas for repair. 

Hopefully they don't delete all my stuff since I had no time to back up anything.

And I've been having speaker problems as well... which is odd also.

Just FYI, I haven't spilled/dropped any liquid onto/into the laptop.

And I don't want to open up the laptop because that voids the warranty lol

Thanks again for the response!

Edit: also, I don't really have heating problems. It doesn't usually overheat or anything. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors