Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krishnivas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,425
Message 1 of 15

Ideapad Y560 - Consider replacing your battery

Hi. I have Lenovo Ideapad Y560. Yesterday, my laptop started to hibernate because of insufficient power. I, by mistake,  pressed the power button again before the laptop hibernated (connected the charger before pressing the power button). Since then, the laptop shows a message "Consider replacing your battery". I read through some of the relevant posts and tried a few troubleshooting methods. 

1) The laptop works just fine with the AC power cable alone (battery removed).

2) Discharged the battery completely and pressed the power button for 15-30 seconds to drain the remaining power. Inserted the battery, connected the charger, waited for 15 minutes for the battery to charge and then switched it on.

3) Installed the latest BIOS driver from the website.

4) Charged the battery fully and checked the voltage and resistance as mentioned in the Hardware Maintenance Manual; Voltage = 12.04 V and Resistance = 9.9 Kohms (suggested solution in the Manual is to replace the system board).

All the aforementioned does not solve the issue. It still shows the same message. I am not sure on how to proceed now. Also, I checked the Lenovo Energy management console and the battery status reads "Good". It is discharging within an hour (previously, 2.5 hours). All of these seem to happen after I pressed the power button before it hibernated. 

Laptop model: Ideapad Y560 (i5 processor)

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. 

Regards, Krish

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,385
Message 2 of 15

Re: Ideapad Y560 - Consider replacing your battery

What is your battery setting set to in em? How old is your laptop?
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 8,370
Message 3 of 15

Hi Krish

maybe energy management software is corrupted...

please try this... download appropriate Lenovo Energy Management driver  for your Windows version to desktop...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT072743

then go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and un-install Energy Management

next shut down, then start your Y560 again and install the downloaded driver.

Zehn

krishnivas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,357
Message 4 of 15

Dear Ishaan,

I am sorry but I did not understand your first question.. For the second, my laptop is 2 years old now.. But the battery was working fine until yesterday morning.. This message started showing up only after the incident that I mentioned happened.. I would be fine if there was a gradual decline in the battery's performance.. But that is not the case.. 

krishnivas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,356
Message 5 of 15

Dear Zehnsteine,

Did that.. The issue is still not resolved.. Thanks for your suggestion though.. 

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,350
Message 6 of 15

I would just cmd> powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_BATTERY BATACTIONCRIT 0.

Then install this: http://www.alltechtalk.net/forum/thread-v0-0-2-battmeter-what-microsoft-should-have-done

Finally hide the old system battery icon.

It is the easiest thing I could think of.

krishnivas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,313
Message 7 of 15

But isn't that just like skipping the problem. Will it help me solve the issue ? I am not sure. I also tried a system restore. It did not help either. :-/

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,308
Message 8 of 15

Open energy management , click on settings icon, then see what is the battery set to.(optimize for battery lifespan or maximum performance) Also please download CPUID Hardware Monitor and check the full charge capacity and designed capacity of battery.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
krishnivas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,270
Message 9 of 15

The battery is set to "Optimize for battery runtime". Also, the CPUID Hardware Monitor was useful in checking the battery parameters.
It shows,
Battery:
Designed Capacity: 64069 mWh
Full Charge Capacity: 20069 mWh

I think it can be inferred that the battery charge capacity has declined. But, in EM, the battery status shows "Good". So does the 4th point in my initial post. I am now confused.
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,268
Message 10 of 15

Can't say that which software is bugged but maybe the cpuid hardware monitor is right. You might want to really replace the battery.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors