Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
endous
Paper Tape
Views: 1,833
Message 1 of 7

Ideapad Y560 dead - HDD locked by ATA password

Hey,

my old Ideapad Y560 got broke and unfortunately (with hindsight) I locked the HDD on my Ideapad with an ata password.

So now I restored the HDD from my (completely dead)  Ideapad and installed it on another laptop (not from Lenovo) but it tells me the password is invalid. The password is 100 percent correct, I typed it in like five times a day for 2 years.

Same problem was mentioned in this thread, but it was closed because "Forum rules don't allow discussion of ways around passwords" Oo :

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/How-hard-drive-password-is-encoded/td-p/127588

Anyone has an idea? Just to point it out before this thread also gets closed : I dont want to circumvent any kind of password mechanism because I KNOW the password and just want to access my own HDD...

Thanks in advance

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,803
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ideapad Y560 dead - HDD locked by ATA password

@endous wrote:

Hey,

my old Ideapad Y560 got broke and unfortunately (with hindsight) I locked the HDD on my Ideapad with an ata password.

So now I restored the HDD from my (completely dead)  Ideapad and installed it on another laptop (not from Lenovo) but it tells me the password is invalid. The password is 100 percent correct, I typed it in like five times a day for 2 years.

Same problem was mentioned in this thread, but it was closed because "Forum rules don't allow discussion of ways around passwords" Oo :

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/How-hard-drive-password-is-encoded/td-p/127588

Anyone has an idea? Just to point it out before this thread also gets closed : I dont want to circumvent any kind of password mechanism because I KNOW the password and just want to access my own HDD...

Thanks in advance

You can try google and you should become very busy reading all those 6.7 million results.

endous
Paper Tape
Views: 1,793
Message 3 of 7

@LenBlazer wrote:

@endous wrote:

Hey,

Thanks in advance

You can try google and you should become very busy reading all those 6.7 million results.

Ok lets see: 3 million results: "How can I unlock some hdd I found on Ebay... No idea what the password is";

2 million results:"Latest trick to unlock WD blabla; but it MUST be WD"; 1 million results : Advertising for some expensive cracking software

Proof me wrong by posting JUST ONE link thats meeting my problem and offering at least some reasonable approach to solve it (not the one you might think I have by just reading the thread title)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,778
Message 4 of 7

Hi endous and welcome to the community,

Actually, the key is in that other thread.  That hard drive won't work in any other laptop except for the one that the password was set in.  The password would have to be removed in the original machine.  The security for the hard drive  is set and removed from the bios of the Y560.  You can't use it in any other machine because the bios isn't the same.

Be careful how you word your next question, I'm pretty sure I know what it will be.  

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,776
Message 5 of 7

I'm sorry to see you're having this problem. Smiley Sad

What kind of drive do you have? If it's a Seagate, it's best to ask them, on their forum. They also have some tools that might help you out.

http://forums.seagate.com/

If the drive is another manufacturers, go to that sites user support.

Otherwise, you're not going to get an appropriate answer here, due to our forums rules.

"No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc, or to subvert safety measures. Nor shall any posts provide descriptions to the location of, nor direct links to content related to these topics."

Sorry,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,768
Message 6 of 7

@topmahof wrote:

Hi endous and welcome to the community,

Actually, the key is in that other thread.  That hard drive won't work in any other laptop except for the one that the password was set in.  The password would have to be removed in the original machine.  The security for the hard drive  is set and removed from the bios of the Y560.  You can't use it in any other machine because the bios isn't the same.

Be careful how you word your next question, I'm pretty sure I know what it will be.  

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave, Smiley LOL

I was typing my reply when you entered yours. I kind of thought it was in the Y560's BIOS.

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,730
Message 7 of 7

Not trying to make a joke of your post. Indeed you have 6+ million information about "hdd password". So you really need to spend sometime reading and segregating them.

Anyway, here is another information about your problem. Refer to your user's guide page 48. It stated "If you forget your hard disk drive password, a Lenovo authorized servicer cannot reset your password or recover data from the hard disk. You must take your computer to a Lenovo authorized servicer or a marketing representative to have the hard disk drive replaced. Proof of purchase is required, and a fee will be charged for parts and service."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors