cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GenuineEnquirer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 568
Message 1 of 2

Ideapad Y580 32GB RAM? Why wouldn't it work?

My model of y580 has the i7.

Intel says on their site currently that for the Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor, Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) is 32 GB (see screenshot.)

The y580 has 2 sodimm slots.

On the market, there is currently available, 2x16GB 204pin, non ECC, DDR3L, sodimm, 1.35v, 1600mhz RAM. I have checked, and each of these conditions (number of pins, size, error correction type, DDR generation, voltage, and speed) are matching up to what the y580 is compatible with.

For what other reason would this ram not be compatible with the y580?

Lenovo originally claimed there was a limit of 2x4GB RAM, but I have read quite a few reports of seamless compatibility for 16GB (2x8GB). 

Based on my current information, there is nothing to say that there would be a problem with the y580 running this RAM (2x16GB.) 

However, I want to know reasonable assumptions and experience of other users before purchasing, installing and testing.

GenuineEnquirer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 470
Message 2 of 2

Re: Ideapad Y580 32GB RAM? Why wouldn't it work?

Read up online and got paranoid about 32GB not working so bought 2x8GB of the same spec ratings for voltage, non-ecc, ddr3L, etc and it basically plugs and plays that easy. No problems just a quick swap.

Makes me think I wish I'd tried the 32GB. But the gambling stakes are higher.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors