Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahughes6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 443
Message 1 of 5

Ideapad Y580 Windows 8 Video Playback Rendering Glitchy

After much searching around the web for this I have finally decided to join the forums here and make a post. My cofiguration is an Ideapad Y580 using Windows 8. The issue is that when rendering video in youtube (any streaming video, really), it seems that there is some issue where randomly, usually in darker areas, colors will be replaced with blue patches. By dark areas it can really just be like darker green on grass all the way to the shadowed side of someone's face, etc, but again, it isn't restricted to this. After trying everything, I have come to the conclusion that I have no clue where the problem lies.

I can recreate this so many different ways that it is frustrating to think about. I have used Firefox and Chrome as my testbeds. I tested with hardware acceleration disabled, hardware acceleration enabled and using intel hd for graphics, hardware acceleration enabled and using nvidia for graphics. I used Adobe Flash player. I used Chrome's built in flash player. It happens on Netflix playback using Silverlight. I tried with disabled flash player and forcing youtube to use html5, and the only time I got relief from the blue boxes was when going fullscreen mode in Firefox and it asked if I was okay with it.

I have tried using a linux mint installation through virtual box and this produced the same issues. I know, however, on my father's desktop with an i7 and Intel HD 4000 graphics the playback of the same test videos came out perfect, as well as on my girlfriend's Thinkpad E430.

With all of that in mind, I am really not sure how to proceed. At first I thought this might have been a hardware issue, since it is localized to my computer. The fact that the fullscreen overlay in Firefox removed the glitchy rendering made me feel this might be some deep hidden software issue. Please help!

Sincerely,
Andy

Here are images that show what I am trying to describe:

Chrome using Flash and Intel HD 4000

Link to picture

Chrome using Flash and Nvidia

Link to picture

Firefox HTML5 Player Regular size

Link to picture

Firefox HTML5 Player Full Screen Asking Permission

Link to picture

Firefox HTML5 Player Full Screen After Asking Permission

Link to picture

Edit:

Also to show it's not just this video (though it's very small here on the rightmost flower, in the green bulb area):

Link to picture

Also to note, Chrome, Firefox, Flash are all up to date, as well as my system.

Edit 2:

changed title to say video playback rendering.

And want to note, this also happens in video playback from files such as .wtv files.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

ahughes6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 388
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ideapad Y580 Windows 8 Video Playback Rendering Glitchy

So... after no replies I did some further investigation. I sent the images that I posted to another computer and they displayed just perfectly.

So my new question: did anyone view this post who uses the IdeaPad Y580 with the LED monitor view this. I am including a new image with the blue section boxed in so if you don't see the blue on your monitor I would like some feedback, please.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

ahughes6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 387
Message 3 of 5

And some further testing:

spectrum_chart.jpg

If you are using the Y580 HD LED monitor, can you please confirm if there is a streak of odd colored blue pixels through this?

ahughes6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 376
Message 4 of 5

Here is a picture of my actual monitor and what it displays so that people don't think I am crazy.

photo.jpg

ahughes6
Fanfold Paper
Views: 360
Message 5 of 5

Can a moderator please close this. I will post a new topic with the appropriate info now that I have found out it is monitor and not software specific. Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors