Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChinoNino
What's DOS?
Views: 840
Message 1 of 2

Ideapad Y580 Wireless problems

Recently I have been getting wireless connection problems on my 2 month old y580. I was unable to connect to my wireless router. It would try to connect to a network repeatedly for 5 to 6 times and ultimately fail. Recently I found a fix where if I comepletely disable my Windows Firewall it would allow me to connect and I can turn the firewall back on afterwards. My problem however is that i need to do this everytime my computer restarts. I have no problem with doing this because it works just as fine as before but I am sure there is probably a permenant fix to this.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 810
Message 2 of 2

Re: Ideapad Y580 Wireless problems

hi ChinoNino,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community.

If no third party application (such as Norton, Mcafee, etc. mo) monitors your Firewall settings,

Try to do the following:

1. Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking (to access this option, press F8 during boot-up) and try to connect. If it works, perform a clean boot. and test with the Windows Firewall ON.

2. If Step 1 doesn't work, uninstall the Wireless Network Adapter under Device Manager (click start > type Device Manager) - this will refresh the wifi card's settings to factory default

3. If you have the Wireless Centrino N - 2200 or 2230 under Network Adapter, go to your wifi router & check if you have WMM under QoS - disable this setting if applicable since there's a compatibility between these cards and WMM.

4. Reboot your wifi router (unplug it for a minute and turn it back ON)

If the above steps doesn't work, you will need to create advanced firewall rules to connect to your wifi router.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors