Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NRDisciple
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 1 of 6

Ideapad Y580 sound cutting out

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding my Ideapad Y580 and a strange sound error I have been experiencing over the past few months.

Windows 8.1 Pro w/ Media Center

i7 3630QM

8GB RAM

GTX660M

500GB Samsung EVO 840

Ok here's the sound issue.  After using a program such as Minecraft, VLC, Nightingale, the sound will completely cut out.  When checking volumes, sound will not register.  Oftentimes, the sound control panel will say the device is busy.

Things I've tried so far:

1) Disabled Realtek Digital Output

2) Installed latest driver

3) Checked current processes for remnants of programs using the sound card.. nothing.

Sometimes when I have one of the programs open, for example playing minecraft, when I start a video in VLC, there will be no sound.  The only sound comes from the game.

The only thing that really restores the audio is a full restart of the system.  Logging out and back in will not restore the sound.

Has anyone experienced this issue?  Is there a way to fix this problem?  Thanks guys!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 577
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ideapad Y580 sound cutting out

One suggestion..... have you tried uninstalling the audio driver, reboot the computer and then install a fresh copy of the driver.  If the previous driver installation was faulty, installing the latest driver may have not corrected the problem.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

NRDisciple
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 3 of 6

Initially it helped, then the issue returned.

Apparently waiting some time after exiting  the application allows the sound to return.  However, I am unable to determine how to isolate the process and terminate it to allow the sound to come back faster. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 548
Message 4 of 6

Since you are still having problems I would uninstall the Lenovo version of the Realtek audio driver, reboot the computer and then install the latest audio driver from Realtek and then see if that corrects the problem.  The link below is for Realtek's website and their driver downloads.  Just check the agreement and click Next to go to the download page. 

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT... Definition Audio Codecs

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

classicarl
What's DOS?
Views: 380
Message 5 of 6

I right clicked on the sound icon in windows (bottom right on taskbar) and clicked "troubleshoot sound problems". It then had me disable enhancements, then it would perform tests until I heard sound again. That worked for me

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 371
Message 6 of 6

Welcome to the Lenovo Community classicarl !

Thanks for sharing your solution with us. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors